Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave

Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave (http://simplylightwave.com/forum//index.php)
-   W.I.P (http://simplylightwave.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cartoon Character (1st organic model) (http://simplylightwave.com/forum//showthread.php?t=3311)

davie563 20-11-2004 08:12 PM

Cartoon Character (1st organic model)

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, this is my 1st attempt at a character, here are some sketches and the final ver of the characters face :p

its for a modeling exercise in Uni :P

:confused:

davie563 20-11-2004 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and the final ver :p

davie563 20-11-2004 08:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok, im having trouble, what are these creases in the mesh and also, am i maybe choosing the wrong method of modeling for a character, cheers :p

any help would be great :p

:alien:

Johnny9ball 20-11-2004 09:21 PM

With sub-d when 1 point shares 5 polygons it causes the crease dont worry to much about it unless it showes up in your final render.

davie563 24-11-2004 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is an update :p

c&c plz, i need all the help i can get :P

:p

davie563 24-11-2004 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
just rough shape of pose that im going for, this will be used as reference when i start to model real body :p

:D

davie563 25-11-2004 12:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a wee update with the clothes :p

these creases are killing me, i hate the way it does that when u have 1 point sharing 5polys, also....does adding more sub-D when the whole thing is finished get ride of these :p

cheers

:p

bullet_evader 25-11-2004 03:47 PM

maybe you should attach the ears on the head? I think you will get an unnatural sharp edge when you are going to render this guy. and make the stomach area a bit more rounder. looks a little flat right now.

those creases annoying me to ( even if they don't show up in the render ). so i am trying to get rid of them most of the time.

Johnny9ball 25-11-2004 06:23 PM

Most of the time when you set a higher subdivision in the render they dont even show up anymore(1 point shareing 5 polys in a sub-division surface). Sometimes they do cause render problems and in those cases you need to try to spin quads or restructure the polygon flow in that area.

davie563 25-11-2004 08:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yeah, i tried freezing it, then sub-d'ing it, and it got ride of the creases :p so ill do that at the end before i render, cheers :p

small update, ill now add some more polys to the t-shirt and start to add detail creases and stuff :p

anybody know how i can tell the computer to freeze it but only add a few more polys not the huge amount it usually does, is there a way to tell it a max amount of polys 2 do ??

cheers

ohhh... and about the ear, for joining it to the head do u think i should drill the geomatary onto the head then join the points ?

davie563 25-11-2004 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
update :P

got the clothes lookin better :p

what u guys think :D

cheers :cool:

Mark 25-11-2004 10:15 PM

Hmm ... not sure. I think I prefered the previous one where the clothes didn't have the creases in. Kinda reminded me a little of one of the characters from the old Dire Straits 'Money for Nothing' video.*

* For those kids who don't remember who Dire Straits were, or more horrifyingly those exponents of CG who don't know the Money For Nothing video, then ask your parents! :) :) :)

Tsunami 26-11-2004 06:35 AM

Hai Davie,

Hit 'O' , for general options and set subpatchdiv to 2. Now try Freeze again, U should get a more 'workable' amount of poly's now.

Freeze only reveals to you how modeler made your model so smooth and curved after you subdivided it.

Good luck. And 4 the issue on the creases, I agree with Mark, try spinning the quads (CTRL+K).

Greetz,

Tsunami

bullet_evader 27-11-2004 11:17 AM

Quote:

ohhh... and about the ear, for joining it to the head do u think i should drill the geomatary onto the head then join the points ?
yup i think that's the best way. just delete the polygons and weld the points manually!!

i think i agree with mark about the clothes. the "non-creased" clothes are looking better ( sorry ). Just fits the character better i think.

davie563 27-11-2004 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi, cheers for the comments :p

i got a question about CPU fans, i think i need to get a new 1, and i was just wondering about installing it :p below there is a pic of my fan, do i un-screw the four screws round it, and then when i get another 1 use the same screws to put the new 1 in place then just connect it 2 the motherboard ??

do fans get all the power they need through that one little wire that connects to the motherboard ??

cheers :p