Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave

Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave (http://simplylightwave.com/forum//index.php)
-   W.I.P (http://simplylightwave.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cartoon Character (1st organic model) (http://simplylightwave.com/forum//showthread.php?t=3311)

davie563 20-11-2004 08:12 PM

Cartoon Character (1st organic model)

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, this is my 1st attempt at a character, here are some sketches and the final ver of the characters face :p

its for a modeling exercise in Uni :P

:confused:

davie563 20-11-2004 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and the final ver :p

davie563 20-11-2004 08:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok, im having trouble, what are these creases in the mesh and also, am i maybe choosing the wrong method of modeling for a character, cheers :p

any help would be great :p

:alien:

Johnny9ball 20-11-2004 09:21 PM

With sub-d when 1 point shares 5 polygons it causes the crease dont worry to much about it unless it showes up in your final render.

davie563 24-11-2004 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is an update :p

c&c plz, i need all the help i can get :P

:p

davie563 24-11-2004 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
just rough shape of pose that im going for, this will be used as reference when i start to model real body :p

:D

davie563 25-11-2004 12:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a wee update with the clothes :p

these creases are killing me, i hate the way it does that when u have 1 point sharing 5polys, also....does adding more sub-D when the whole thing is finished get ride of these :p

cheers

:p

bullet_evader 25-11-2004 03:47 PM

maybe you should attach the ears on the head? I think you will get an unnatural sharp edge when you are going to render this guy. and make the stomach area a bit more rounder. looks a little flat right now.

those creases annoying me to ( even if they don't show up in the render ). so i am trying to get rid of them most of the time.

Johnny9ball 25-11-2004 06:23 PM

Most of the time when you set a higher subdivision in the render they dont even show up anymore(1 point shareing 5 polys in a sub-division surface). Sometimes they do cause render problems and in those cases you need to try to spin quads or restructure the polygon flow in that area.

davie563 25-11-2004 08:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yeah, i tried freezing it, then sub-d'ing it, and it got ride of the creases :p so ill do that at the end before i render, cheers :p

small update, ill now add some more polys to the t-shirt and start to add detail creases and stuff :p

anybody know how i can tell the computer to freeze it but only add a few more polys not the huge amount it usually does, is there a way to tell it a max amount of polys 2 do ??

cheers

ohhh... and about the ear, for joining it to the head do u think i should drill the geomatary onto the head then join the points ?

davie563 25-11-2004 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
update :P

got the clothes lookin better :p

what u guys think :D

cheers :cool:

Mark 25-11-2004 10:15 PM

Hmm ... not sure. I think I prefered the previous one where the clothes didn't have the creases in. Kinda reminded me a little of one of the characters from the old Dire Straits 'Money for Nothing' video.*

* For those kids who don't remember who Dire Straits were, or more horrifyingly those exponents of CG who don't know the Money For Nothing video, then ask your parents! :) :) :)

Tsunami 26-11-2004 06:35 AM

Hai Davie,

Hit 'O' , for general options and set subpatchdiv to 2. Now try Freeze again, U should get a more 'workable' amount of poly's now.

Freeze only reveals to you how modeler made your model so smooth and curved after you subdivided it.

Good luck. And 4 the issue on the creases, I agree with Mark, try spinning the quads (CTRL+K).

Greetz,

Tsunami

bullet_evader 27-11-2004 11:17 AM

Quote:

ohhh... and about the ear, for joining it to the head do u think i should drill the geomatary onto the head then join the points ?
yup i think that's the best way. just delete the polygons and weld the points manually!!

i think i agree with mark about the clothes. the "non-creased" clothes are looking better ( sorry ). Just fits the character better i think.

davie563 27-11-2004 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi, cheers for the comments :p

i got a question about CPU fans, i think i need to get a new 1, and i was just wondering about installing it :p below there is a pic of my fan, do i un-screw the four screws round it, and then when i get another 1 use the same screws to put the new 1 in place then just connect it 2 the motherboard ??

do fans get all the power they need through that one little wire that connects to the motherboard ??

cheers :p

Mark 28-11-2004 12:32 PM

Usually, the CPU fan comes complete with the heatsink. There should be a clip holding the heatsink assembly onto the CPU - you'll need to unclip this and remove the whole thing, clean the old heat compound off the top of the chip, re-apply new heat compound to the CPU and then simply clip in the new heatsink assembly.

You do need to be careful though. The clips can be a real b**tard to attach/remove, and it is possible to crack your CPU in the process (I'm talking from painful and expensive experience here)...

If its just the fan you need because the bearings are fried or whatever, then you need to ensure that you get one of the same form factor as the old one so the screws will fit the same area on the heatsink - and be careful when you screw the new one in - the aluminium of the heatsink is easy to strip if you overtighten the screws - do that, and your new fan is never going to fit properly... :)

davie563 28-11-2004 01:35 PM

Haha !! you have just put me right off ! lol :p

think ill just leave it, i was talkin to a guy that fixes pc's and he was saying it wont do the pc any harm if the cpu fan take a few seconds to start, aslong as its runing fine once u get into windows when your cpu is in use alot :p

i mean it's wierd it is running great once it gets going, its only those few second at the start when it displays ur bios :p maybe its just taking the power a few seconds to reach the fan, who knows :p the guy also said that if it stops while windows is running, then it will notify you and tell you to shut yoour pc down, so at least i will know when it goes dead :p

davie563 02-12-2004 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is the shirt :p

davie563 02-12-2004 09:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and the character, im still working on the finished render, ad i dont want to post a rubish 1, so ill have 1 up in a few days :p

cheers :alien:

davie563 06-12-2004 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok, here is a final composition of the model in its scene, no its time to get into Layout and get some saslite on that grass :p a bass is going to be appearing from top right and heading straight for him, ill add this at the end with photoshop :p

what u think ? :D

Fallenswordsman 06-12-2004 08:19 PM

Looking very cool although very polygon heavy! I love the character design plus the fact that you've stuck him in a scene too - too many character models out there without scenes!

davie563 06-12-2004 10:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a render :p

what u think, any help would be great :P

i liked the simple colours for the background, felt it blended with the character well :p

bullet_evader 07-12-2004 03:35 PM

hehe i like it :D nice shadows!!!

davie563 07-12-2004 04:47 PM

cheers, :p

:alien: