Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Lounges > Site News & Announcements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-09-2015, 08:15 AM   #16
spellis32
Full Access Member

Hi,

No news for a while...
Any new training soon?

Regards
spellis32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:53 PM   #17
Miss Nova
Registered Member

Yes. I'm working on a tutorial for modeling cartoon characters in LightWave making this guy. I have started recording it and I'm a bit slow, but hopefully it shouldn't take too long. His name is Burt and he's originally born in Maya
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dino.jpg (20.9 KB, 65 views)
Miss Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:14 PM   #18
leroy3rd
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Miss Nova View Post
Yes. I'm working on a tutorial for modeling cartoon characters in LightWave making this guy. I have started recording it and I'm a bit slow, but hopefully it shouldn't take too long. His name is Burt and he's originally born in Maya
That. Is. FANTASTIC! I'm so excited to dive into this one. I'm making a pledge right now: I'll start on this tutorial DAY 1 and post my progress as I go (something I haven't done in the time I've been here). I can't wait to see how you tackle the ridges on his chest.

You made my day. :-D
Old 09-09-2015, 02:03 PM   #19
life3d
Registered Member

Hello, Great .... canīt wait to see to... Thanks you
life3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #20
spellis32
Full Access Member

Ooh goody.
Looks great. Looking forward to it.

Completely in Lightwave or is there any third party apps used?

Thank you.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:33 PM   #21
Miss Nova
Registered Member

Thanks for the cheerful response. The first tutorial is a modeling LW only tutorial, for the texture painting it's done in Mari. It's a great 3D paint program and they have an indie version now that's available for around 10 USD a month on subscription.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:09 PM   #22
leroy3rd
Lifetime Member

for the texture painting it's done in Mari. It's a great 3D paint program and they have an indie version now that's available for around 10 USD a month on subscription.
Old 13-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #23
Miss Nova
Registered Member

Mari not so popular I take it. Which program would you rather see the texture painting done in?
Old 13-09-2015, 02:48 PM   #24
leroy3rd
Lifetime Member

It's not so much that I have any negative feelings about any third party software, as, I literally can't afford ANYTHING these days. I'm living on Mac&Cheese, have no money, can't find work. Even $10 would break me these days (I haven't even been able to upgrade to Lightwave 2015, and I still have my CORE member discount...).

That would make buying anything impossible for me, but even more to the point, it seems that every new tutorial here requires SOME third party program, and each tutorial requires a DIFFERENT 3rd party program... That's a bit of a problem for hobbyists. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I assume (from the posts I read here) that most here are hobbyists like me, we don't have deep pockets, and can't afford to buy new software every time there's a new tutorial. If I'm off base here I wish others would correct me...
Old 15-09-2015, 08:30 PM   #25
Miss Nova
Registered Member

First off sorry for the late reply and also to hear that you're having a tough time. I hope things get better for you soon.

When it comes to every new tutorial requiring some third party program, it's not so much up to us but rather because the industry has changed. Computers can handle more polys, high-res textures and GI, so people are using more software to create complex things that look better. A typical VFX pipeline at the moment would use six programs with Maya, Mudbox, Headus, Mari, V-Ray and Nuke.

It takes a lot more to impress people than it did a few years back, and tutorials don't sell unless they look impressive. Also the software got better, which is why texture painting in Mari rather than in a 2D program like Photoshop would be a lot faster and more flexible, and worth learning in the long run for texturing.

For us the fewer programs used the better as it alienates people, but it's about balancing what's the best workflow to teach in 2015, and not using too many programs.

The modeling tutorial I'm making is about creating appealing characters with topology suitable for animation, which is a LightWave project. After that if no one is interested in the texture painting we won't make the Mari tutorial. Any suggestions for a specific tutorial(s) you think would make for a good project, without using too many programs, would be cool.
Old 16-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #26
lifo
Lifetime Member

Hi Miss Nova,

please use whatever software you like for the texturing. I am interested in watching the entire workflow.

Leroy3d,

you can follow along with either the GIMP or Krita, which are both free and open source texturing apps.
lifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 10:53 PM   #27
rwhunt99
Full Access Member

When people start talking about only $10 a month for a subscription, you really mean you are renting software for $120 per year as long as you live, or pay for it. If I were to pay only $10 per month for every application I have. wold be paying $1680 per year just on software, doesn't include hardware upgrades. There have been studies showing companies on a subscription plan make 80% more money than those who don't, so who benefits from it, certainly not me, you still have bugs, and there is no incentive for them to push out new features, they have a captive market.
Old 14-11-2015, 05:10 PM   #28
leroy3rd
Lifetime Member

I have started recording it and I'm a bit slow, but hopefully it shouldn't take too long. His name is Burt and he's originally born in Maya
It's been over 3 months since this post... Any update?
Old 16-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #29
leroy3rd
Lifetime Member

It's been over 4 months since this post... Any update? Should we expect it in 2016 sometime, or has this been abandoned? :-(
Old 02-01-2016, 11:17 AM   #30
spellis32
Full Access Member

Happy New Year to you all. I hope 2016 is good to us.
Any news or updates regarding training tuts?