Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Lounges > LightWave Basics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-08-2004, 04:17 AM   #1
Claudio
Full Access Member

Default How to bend part of the object?

I created this book with a hard cover and I want it to open.
I try to use bones but will not work the way I want: see bellow

I want the 1 and 2 to stay and only the 3 rotate (open).

(See pic on the post bellow)

What should I do?

Thanks

Last edited by Claudio; 08-08-2004 at 04:24 AM.
Claudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 04:26 AM   #2
Claudio
Full Access Member

Here is the picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg question01.jpg (62.5 KB, 82 views)
Old 08-08-2004, 07:31 AM   #3
Mark
Super Moderator

OK Claudio, I've deleted the duplicate post for you.

Now, it's been a while since I've played with Bones, but I would imagine that you could achieve the effect you're after something like this:

Start with a small anchor bone in the static part of the book spine (1), then pop two bones along the length of the book spine (2), meeting in the middle. This should provide the pivot point you require. Finally, add a child bone that extends along the book cover that will be used to actually turn the book page (3).

I've attached a simple object and scene file that should demonstrate the principles - it suffers from some rather unsightly deformations that I've not looked into, but the principle is sound enough.
Attached Files
File Type: zip pageturn.zip (2.5 KB, 7 views)
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 01:35 PM   #4
Claudio
Full Access Member

Hello Mark, thank you for the reply...
I followed the book on this (I though bone was the answer), and it's just like you said above, but seems like I'm doing something wrong because by the time I rotate the 3rd bone, bones 1 and 2 stays in place but the entire cove will rotate along bone 3, not just the 3rd part of the cover.

I have this other book and I followed the example from it with a simple cylinder object as an example and it works fine.

Do you think that is something on the book object? or else?

Thanks again.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:55 PM   #5
Claudio
Full Access Member

It's me again.... Trying your sample I got the error that I do not have the plugin MasterHandle.
Do you think this is the reason of the problem?
Old 08-08-2004, 05:40 PM   #6
Mark
Super Moderator

Hmm. Don't know - I just used native tools from Lightwave. Used Version 8 though, so if you're in an earlier version, then this might account for the error.

Essentially, the way I did this was to set the heirarchy so that bone (1) is the parent of all three other bones. You also might need to play around with bone weights and falloff too to prevent them affecting parts of the object that you want to remain static...
Old 08-08-2004, 05:43 PM   #7
Claudio
Full Access Member

Let me ask you this - do you think it will work if I name the polygons 1, 2 and 3? If so how do I do that (I forgot) If I press Q will name the object or the polygon selected. I know that has another way to name it but I cant remember.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:50 PM   #8
Mark
Super Moderator

I don't think it will make any difference to be honest. The test object I built was a simple box with three segments and one surface...
Old 10-08-2004, 11:54 PM   #9
imazip
Full Access Member

Default Maybe you can use endomorph?

Hi. I'm a total noob at this, so please take my input for what it's worth.

I saw in the "Tobasco" tutorial a portion where they used endomorphs to fold the box. You can scrub through the movie for that part (it's near the end as I recall). I tried it in the toot, and it was quite easy.

A folded box is similar enough to opening a book. Perhaps this will help? Good luck!

http://www.simplylightwave.com/movie...tml?tut_id=502
imazip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 03:27 AM   #10
Claudio
Full Access Member

Here what I got.... First of I was using the bones in one line straight (one after the other), I manage to open Mark's sample and noticed that he used two bones parallel to each other like a T shape.
Once I tried this I got half of the result I want, since the fold was stretching and deforming the thick cover, so I used another set of parallel bones about the meddle of the cover to hold it in place.
I guess I'm all set now with this... I will post a sample of what I was trying to achieve.

Thanks again.
Old 06-04-2024, 10:50 AM   #11
Vnnrderbe
Registered Member

Bending just a section of an object can be tricky! It depends on what you're working with. For physical objects, there might be heat forming techniques or strategically placed cuts and reattachments. In 3D design software, there are tools like "bend modifiers" or "proportional editing" that let you isolate your bendy area. Let me know what kind of object you're working with best PhD thesis writing service and I can dig up some specifics!
Vnnrderbe is offline   Reply With Quote