Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Lounges > LightWave Basics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-04-2003, 04:05 AM   #1
twisteddragon
Registered Member

Default Freezing?

I kind of know what subpatches are....

but what does freeze do? You can only use it while subpatched, sand from experience it seemed to ass a lot of polies to the count...?
twisteddragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 04:19 AM   #2
Johnny9ball
Super Moderator

When a Sub-patched object is Sub-divided each patch is divided by the Sub-Patch level. For example say your Sub-Patch level is 4, so each Sub-Patch in your object is divided by 4x4, so each polygon (or Sub-Patch) is then automatically 16 polygons because its being divided 4x4 and smoothed thats why it can be much smoother than a polygon because when divided by the Sub-Patch level it is actually many polygons. When you freeze a Sub-Patched object you are turning each Sub-Patch into actuall polygons thats why it adds so many polygons to the object. If you hit o in modeler you can control the Sub-Patch level if you set it to 6 then the Sub-Patch are divided 6x6 and then each Sub-Patch would become 36 Polygons.

Set the view to "Wireframe Prespective" in the Prespective view and zoom in close and look at the patches carefully you can see the Division of the patches (add speculaitry to the surface and its easyer to see). Try zooming in close to the patch and then set it to 0 and watch the patch then set it to 1 then 2 then 3 and you can see the Sub-Patch being divided.
Johnny9ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 08:25 PM   #3
twisteddragon
Registered Member

Thanks

What i your an idiot like me and are working on something in subpatches, andin the process freeze it. then go back to subpatching.. and freeze again resulting in.. like billions of polies and you cant reduce them because it would freeze if you do? is there anyway to get rid of the polies fast short of straight deletion? Wint let me undo either.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:54 PM   #4
Johnny9ball
Super Moderator

If the object has been frozen and then saved you need to roll up your sleeves and start over. So its a good lesson to be aware while modeling.

I forgot to mention that when the poly is Sub-divided each polygon is turned into triangles. A Sub-Division of 2 would divided the poly into 4 square polygons or 2x2=4 then each polygon is divided into 2 triangle or 2x4=8, a sub-division lvl of 4 would make 32 Triangle polygons. The reason it uses triangles is because a triangle polygons cannot be non-planer and therefore will always render correctly even if deformed for animation.

Last edited by Johnny9ball; 07-04-2003 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:59 PM   #5
twisteddragon
Registered Member

No harm done. but i did think the pbject i made was pretty cool. but i guess my computer cant handle 345000 polies.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:04 PM   #6
Mark
Super Moderator

You could try taking a look at the reduce polygons and QUEMMloss2 commands (on the modeller construct menu) and running these against a copy of your model (note make a copy of the model first outside of modeller and keep it safe - this is important as Quemmloss2 can seriously screw up a mesh).

These may help you get back on track.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 12:22 AM   #7
twisteddragon
Registered Member

Nope my computer just cant handle it. I hadjust way too many polies. its even hessitent to load. its really not a big deal. i got a cool render of it. i just wanted to finis it up. feels weird with it.. not done...
Old 08-04-2003, 12:26 AM   #8
Johnny9ball
Super Moderator

Lets see the render.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:56 AM   #9
twisteddragon
Registered Member

If you insist. But i wasnt even close to done. I was practicing making things look very smooth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hydrofoil2.jpg (27.2 KB, 31 views)