Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Lounges > LightWave Basics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-04-2003, 06:56 PM   #1
twisteddragon
Registered Member

Question 3 questions....

How do you set an image to a plane so you can use it as a guide and lock it so you cant click...

How to you load images as texture aswell... and do they need to be a specific format.

And finally how do you make an object apear smoother. Such as making a 50 degree angle apear smooth... such as a lot of 20 or 10 degree angles without manually puting every point at the right position?
twisteddragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 08:54 PM   #2
Johnny9ball
Super Moderator

1) In modeler hit d then go to Backdrop Tab then Load Image and add a image into the backdrop you want. Use automatic size to size the image to a plane or box.

2) Hit ctrl-F4 or hit the Image Editor tab on the top left in modeler or layout and Load images here for use as textures. I dont know exactly what file formats LW accecpts for texture images I like to use tiff or Jpeg.

3) Try modeling with Sub-Patches. Tab button to Sub-Patch an object. Create a box and hit Tab, watch the Sub-Patch fun. Philips Mclaren Tutorial is great for learning Subpatches and Splines.

Last edited by Johnny9ball; 05-04-2003 at 08:58 PM.
Johnny9ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 10:11 PM   #3
twisteddragon
Registered Member

Thanks.

I realized after i made it the next topic dealt with question 1. But i didnt recognize it from the title.

2 will help a lot thanks

And i love the MCLaren F1, i was actually planning on modeling that so i should do the tutorial.

Itried using subpatches.. but when i did it always seemed to have a weird slping edge thing... so it a squar poly was next to a subpatched poly. the subpatched one would look more like a rounded squar.. throughing it off.

I better try the tutorial. thanks.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:21 PM   #4
twisteddragon
Registered Member

i have no points.. so i cant do the tutorial though
Old 06-04-2003, 12:31 AM   #5
Johnny9ball
Super Moderator

Get the Peppers Tutorial that one is Free and it deals with Subpatches, it can get you started. Save a bit of cash and get the Mclaren tutorial you will learn Lots from that one its Excellent.
Johnny9ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 09:39 AM   #6
Mark
Super Moderator

twisteddragon: You are correct. When you have a subpatched poly bunted up directly against a non-subpatched poly, you will get strange artifacts from the smoothing. The trick is, you should model either entirely with subpatches or without.

There are, however, two ways you can go to get squarer edges on a subpatched object. These are:

1) Add geometry along the edges. This will have the effect of tightening the curves created at the edges of your model.

2) Modiy the subpatch weights over the points you want to tighten.

Again, as already mentioned - the McLaren (and the Strat tutorial) both deal with these methods somewhere along the line.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 10:29 PM   #7
twisteddragon
Registered Member

How do i edit Weights? ive heard the term a few times but i dont understand it.

And how much do points cost out of curiousity. i have some bucks saved up and if its as good as you say i might just get it.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:39 PM   #8
twisteddragon
Registered Member

Okay.. i still cant seem to load jpg files as textures.. i mean.. they seem to load but they dont wrap to the object. anyone kno what im doing wrong?
Old 07-04-2003, 10:58 PM   #9
Mark
Super Moderator

To edit weights in modeller, set your viewport (perspective is probably best) to 'weight shade' mode (this will give you some visual feedback as to what is going on).

Next, in the bottom right of the Modeller display, make sure the 'W' button is selected and in the drop down to the right of it select 'subpatch weight' - this will ensure you are editing the weightmap.

Then, on the 'Map' tab of the menus, the weight button becomes available. From here, you can access a numeric requester that will allow you to set the weight values and falloff for the selected points. Essentially, the closer you get to +100% - the squarer and tighter the vertex will become (i.e.: it gets more weight influence), the closer to -100% you get the softer the curve through the selected points.

If you're having problems with loading files as textures, from what you describe I would say that you probably need to take a look at (a) the projection you're using and (b) the Width/Height tile values.

Unfortunately without more info on what you're trying to accomplish and what your current settings are, it's really hard to give any more detail.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 11:22 PM   #10
twisteddragon
Registered Member

Ah got it to woork.. i think.. i dont know how yet but it did spomething.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:26 PM   #11
twisteddragon
Registered Member

Ah thanks. i use weight shaded render perspecting a lot. but i didnt even know about the weight shade mode. that shoudl help a lot.

For the textures i would use image editor to bring the image in. then i went to surface editor to apply it. turns out i was applying it wrong a guess.. either way i seemed to get it to work so thats good. im going to try weight shaded right now. thanks,