Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Competitions > Previous Challenges & Competitions Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-03-2004, 03:58 PM   #1
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

Default March/April 2004 Challenge Rules!

March/April 2004 Challenge
------------------------------------------

Time for a change of pace, and a new challenge! For the months of March and April, the theme for the Simply3DWorld challenge is:

Ancient Civilizations!

In this competition, your challenge is to create an environment scene with this theme in mind! You can portray a long, lost city in ruins, leftovers from a previously undiscovered world, or show an ancient society in its hayday, Atlantis at its peak, so to speak.

You are not limited to civilizations that are known to have existed, or even legends (such as Atlantis). You are free to invent your own lost world of the ancients! Technology level is your choice!

Perhaps the ancient civilization you portray is one much like our own, with high-tech tools and machines, but were somehow lost before the age of dinosaurs. Or even as far as some alien society that set up a colony on earth long ago but was long forgotten.

There are no limits except what your imagination can come up with!

1) Design and create an environmental scene under the theme of ancient civilizations, keeping the above info in mind. Show concepts and WIPs! You can create it in game low-poly OR in high-res cinematic quality.

2) The more you are able to do, the better your chances! Texturing, lighting, animation, dynamics, etc. are not required, but will add to your chances!

3) BONUS! Extra consideration given to those who accomplish this second (optional) part of the challenge! Integrate a particle or fluid effect into your scene! Because no animation is required, you can use Photoshop to composite such effects. However, the effects must be derived from Lightwave's special effects and not something painted in from a photo or by hand!

AND/OR

Create a character that would fit within the ancient world you have created.

Keep in mind that it's the environment that REALLY needs to be done, so make sure you save your bonus details until after your main entry is complete! Do not sacrifice your entire entry because you didn't meet the optional aspects of the challenge!

For the ambitious among you, if you'd like to try for both bonuses, feel free.

4) Name your posts thusly:

March/April - Your Name - Normal or Noob

If, over the course of the challenge, it is determined that you are performing at an OBVIOUS opposite to your chosen class, you will be asked to reverse it. This hasn't happend often, and usually only to those who enter Noob category and are decided to be good enough for Norm.

5) Toward the end of the challenge period, Final Entry posts will be made for you to officially submit your entry for consideration.

Guidelines/Suggestions/Etc.
------------------------------------

1) Congrats to the previous challenge entries! The requirements needed to give out the grand prize we've been waiting to give away have been met! Watch this space for details of what grand prize is in store for this new competition!

As usual, we'll need five (5) valid final Normal entries between SimplyMaya and SimplyLightwave to consider shipping out the prize, so encourage each other!

The winners of the Jan/Feb Challenge will be announced within the next day or two.

2) If doing low-poly, let us know your final entry's polycount. Try to stick to around 50,000 triangle polys. This limit is not strict, however.

No special consideration is given to an entry based on whether it is low-poly or not.

Keep watch here for any addendums and feel free to post your own questions you might have.

Good luck!
------------

PRIZE INFO ADDED! CHECK PAGE 2!
mtmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 11:43 PM   #2
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

ADDENDUM -

Your entry must be begun during this challenge period and not from a previous project done before.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:40 AM   #3
kumar
Full Access Member

Cool Mike..... I was guessing environment at the time... since its not yet done... And i was right...... Cool.... hehe..... This is going to be fun... 'YA!'...
kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 05:56 AM   #4
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

For some inspiration, here's a couple pics from the game Uru.

http://www.myst5.com/images/mudpiepic32.jpg
http://www.myst5.com/images/mudpiepic13.JPG
http://www.myst5.com/images/mudpiepic33.jpg
http://www.myst5.com/images/mudpiepic43.jpg <-my fave!
http://www.myst5.com/images/mudpiepic14.JPG
http://www.myst5.com/images/mudpiepic12.JPG
Old 02-03-2004, 02:37 PM   #5
chrispo
Full Access Member

wow - looks hard. I've never modelled that much content.

5 point polys, they just need to learn to subpatch and then we can all be freinds.www.thirddayimage.com
chrispo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 02:40 PM   #6
chrispo
Full Access Member

Sorry, I want to enter - but what is the noob and normal?
Im really sorry I dont get it... Its been a long week.

5 point polys, they just need to learn to subpatch and then we can all be freinds.www.thirddayimage.com
Old 02-03-2004, 09:41 PM   #7
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

Whether you classify yourself as a newbie or normal user is up to you. Only those who compete as a Normal entry will be eligible for the grand prize.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:58 AM   #8
bullet_evader
Registered Member

i also have something i dont know!! what is the grand prize???

and what if an noob has got a better result than all the normal entrys??? does he wins the "grand prize"???
bullet_evader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 11:23 AM   #9
chrispo
Full Access Member

Thats a sweet year of Simplylighwave under my belt - can I be normal? or is it becuase Im new to the challenge Im a noob?

Old 03-03-2004, 11:27 AM   #10
R4s1n
Full Access Member

Its how good you think you are with lightwave.
It doesn't matter if you are new to the challenge.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:38 AM   #11
chrispo
Full Access Member

ah ha, cheers. That makes it a mater of ego or false humility. Im really stuck now. I'll play safe.

Old 03-03-2004, 02:24 PM   #12
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

bullet - the grand prize has not yet been totally decided, but at the moment, it is believed that you will be able to choose a 3D book from a selection of choices that we will provide in the future.

Only Normal contestants are considered for the grand prize. If a "Noob" entry looks like it can compete with the Normal class, we will usually offer that person the chance to upgrade himself if he'd like before the challenge is finished.

chrispo - Feel free to enter and classify yourself however you'd like.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:46 PM   #13
bullet_evader
Registered Member

thank you mtmckinley!!! my questions have been answerd
bullet_evader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 04:17 PM   #14
arma
Lifetime Member

Talking

hmmm

i am very tempted to join in with ya al just for fun