Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Competitions > Previous Challenges & Competitions Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-03-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

Default March/April Challenge Rules and Guidelines!

March/April Challenge!

Robots!

For this challenge, create a robot of some kind. Doesn't have to be humanoid. But do try to design the robot with a specific job in mind. No anime-style mechs!

1) Show concepts! Show progress!

2) BONUS goal(s): As a bonus goal, create an animation of your robot at work! Whether it's a cleaning robot or a secretary-bot or whatever, show what your robot is designed to do.

3) Label your thread thusly:

Mar/Apr - Norm or Noob - Your name

Choose to classify yourself as a Normal or Noobie class entry. Whichever class you choose is the class your final submitted entry will compete against! A winner will be chosen from both classes.

4) Mods and Admins can enter, but are inelligible to win and do not count toward the Grand Prize consideration of 8 or 5 entries mentioned below. If a mod chooses to participate, choose "Mod" class rather than Norm or Noob.

5) If 8+ Normal entries and/or 5+ Newbie entries finish among the 3 Simply sites participating, a Grand Prize will be rewarded to BOTH classes! Regular VIP point prizes will be awarded to both a Normal and Newbie winner, if the Grand Prize criteria of entries is not met!

6) Final entries must be posted into a Final Entry thread that a mod will create in the last couple weeks of the challenge.

The due date of the challenge is April 30th!

7) If 8+ Normal entries and/or 5+ Newbie entries finish among the 3 Simply sites participating, a Grand Prize will be rewarded! Regular VIP point prizes will be awarded to both a Normal and Newbie winner, if the number is not met!

Normal Grand Prize:

A book (any art subject book, whether educational or reference or whatever) and 14 points

Newbie Grand Prize:

A book (Lightwave book only) and 14 points

Ask any questions here!
mtmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 01:11 AM   #2
colto
Registered Member

Hey mike. You probably mentioned this somewhere and I just over looked it but, what all will we be judged on? Modelling, Texturing, Lighting, Render, Bonus animation, etc.

colto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 01:14 AM   #3
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

Textures aren't required, but of course, the more that is done, the better your chances!
Old 08-03-2005, 08:41 AM   #4
Krull
Registered Member

What!!!!

I popped in to check on the competition and I find out that Mayans clocked Lightwavers yet again!!!....

So... Ive decided to enter this one
(not sounding like im hot stuff or nothing cuz im not, it was just disapointing not to see alot of final entries, I thought we had this one honestly, was rooting for will and zeeman =*( )

Got some questions

1. The bonus is to create an animation (YAY!) is there a time limit???

2. We can't do any type of Military machines?

3. Is there any restrictions on how many robots we can create?
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:00 PM   #5
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

1) no restrictions, but don't make a 30 min film, please.

2) you can, but I am really pushing for originality with this comp. If you can make it original, go for it.

3) I'd prefer that you spend your time making 1 kick-ass robot. If you find you've done all you can and have it all animated and rendered in a nice scene etc etc and still have a lot of time, I might consider it.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:12 PM   #6
Zeeman
Registered Member

let's say i have loads of time left and decide to make an animation of the robot at work... do i have to have textures and stuff on the robot and in the scene? Would textures even count???
Zeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:32 PM   #7
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

textures aren't required, but helps with overall presentation.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:28 PM   #8
odeone
Full Access Member

For this challenge, create a robot of some kind. Doesn't have to be humanoid. But do try to design the robot with a specific job in mind

Does this mean it is preferred to come up with a concept that has a potentially real life application to it, or can it be a fictional futuristic function. If the Latter, is a comedic design acceptable?
odeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:06 PM   #9
odeone
Full Access Member

Nevermind. Went over to simplymaya and had look there. Think i've got the idea:o
odeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 06:50 PM   #10
Zeeman
Registered Member

Originally posted by odeone
Does this mean it is preferred to come up with a concept that has a potentially real life application to it, or can it be a fictional futuristic function. If the Latter, is a comedic design acceptable?
Come again?
Zeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 02:39 AM   #11
colto
Registered Member

Default Judging process

Do the judges only judge your bot on what is posted as your final image or do they review your WIP in your thread as well? I mean, do I need to post many different final shots of my robot to show it's detail in all areas or will they (the judges) have already seen all of my robots parts in my thread and I just post a single full body shot as my final?

edit: now that I think about it I could probably integrate a full body wrap-around of my robot and a few up close detail shots in my animation. Would save you guys server space as I host videos on a different site.

colto is offline   Reply With Quote