Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Lounges > Site Questions & Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 31-01-2003, 05:43 PM   #1
Russel
Registered Member

Default Unable to download Presets

I'm unable to download any of the presets - except one.
When I click the download button, nothing happens... I've tried different browsers and on different days to no avail.
Is the problem on my end - or are the rest unavailable yet?
(I have a DSL connection - and the single preset that I was able to get downloaded fine)
Russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2003, 08:27 PM   #2
David
Administrator

Well i can download them all, on multiple platforms all preset downloads are delivered in exactly the same way so it shouldn't be possible for one to work and the other's not to.

Anybody else having problems?

David

PS Russel which OS are you using?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2003, 08:29 PM   #3
Kevin

fine here as well dave. Sorry Russel
Old 31-01-2003, 08:32 PM   #4
Kvaalen
Full Access Member

Fine here too.
Which was the one the you succeded in downloading? That might help solve the problem.
Old 31-01-2003, 09:52 PM   #5
Russel
Registered Member

Crumb!
I knew it would be on my end.

Magic Particles was the only one I could download.

Thank you for all the replies; I'll post again if I find the solution... come to think of it, there is another browser I haven't tried yet...
Old 31-01-2003, 10:01 PM   #6
Kvaalen
Full Access Member

Ah! I thought so!
I knew that my question would solve the problem.

The Magic Particles one (BTW, look who made it :p ) is a zip file, the others are pst files.
So the problem is that you can't download pst files for some reason.

Do you use any program for downloading?

Did you try to right click and choose save target as?

(Well it is not yet solved but we're on the right track.)
Kvaalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 02:17 AM   #7
Russel
Registered Member

Alrighty...
I downloaded the files via a PC, and I confess that i've been trying to do so previously via a Mac.
It seems that browsers on a macintosh rename the downloaded file (if it is a file type it doesn't recognize) and the mime type has to be specified in the browser (which I couldn't figure out at this time). It also changes the extension to .pl instead of a .pst.

I tried to test-download the files again (after entering several supposed myme types) on the Mac and though I successfully downloaded them it still renamed the files (due to some Pearl scripting issue from what I hear) - I didn't think this was an acceptable route since all the downloaded files are re-named the same.

With that said, though I would suggest at this point having all files .zipped for crossplatforming ability (like 'Magic Particles'), I'm not gonna complain if this is done in the future or not; simply because I really appreciate all the hard work and effort put into this site and I'm not gonna whine just because I'm using a mac. I do hope however that others may glean from my experience what they can so as to avoid the hassle of trying to figure out why it won't work.

Then again, (knowing that I'm probably missing some specific solution that is practically staring me in the face unrecognized), does someone have an alternate solution - so a person can download .pst files from a mac and not haveto borrow someone elses PC ???] If not, I'm cool with it.

Thank you all once again in helping me figure this out, I really appreciate it, and now I'll know what to do for next time!
Hope you all have a great weekend!
Old 01-02-2003, 02:25 AM   #8
philip
Tutorial Clown

hmm, does *.pl stand for "pownload"?
Old 01-02-2003, 03:12 AM   #9
David
Administrator

Ahhh if you had said Mac to start with...

For some reason i can't begin to fathom most macs don't seem to correctly support the use of The Content-Disposition Header Field, basically if your browser has the MIME type all is well however if you're local browser doesn't contain this MIME type rather than reading the Content-Disposition Header which is what its there for; the mac ignores it and re-names the file to the page name it was originally called from, now i freely confess i know next to nothing about the internal workings of the Mac OS and as i don't have one handy it makes testing a bitch still this said I do my-best to support the Mac as much as possible I've made some changes to the scripting which might help, could you please test it and let me know if you now receive the correct filename, if not I may just require all uploads to be ether zip, rar, bzip or gz files probably better for most people now i think about it.

If you find another problems please let me know as i say i try my best to support all systems but with no Mac around for de-bugging its dam difficult.

PS. Russel if i PM you a series of Links tomorrow would you try them on you're mac and let me know the results, with a bit of luck the changes I've already made should help but id still like to find out exactly why most Mac's have problems with this, professional curiosity i suppose

First person to turn this into another boring Mac VS PC thread gets kicked up the arse by me, we all know the arguments; and we all know what machines we like to use lets leave it at that.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 06:48 AM   #10
Russel
Registered Member

David-

Awesome!

... and "Amen" to your last comment.

I will be more than happy to help test... however it will have to wait 'till Monday when I get back to work (since I don't have a machine capable of handling Lightwave here at home).
I'll check the items out first thing in the morning and reply as soon as I am able.

Thank you!
Old 01-02-2003, 08:14 AM   #11
Kvaalen
Full Access Member

I prefer the presets to be in pst format if possible, since that way I can download them directly to the presets directory without going through the hassle of unziping them or anything of that sort.

Another solution would be to have a pst version and a zip version.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:19 AM   #12
Kevin

Originally posted by David

First person to turn this into another boring Mac VS PC thread gets kicked up the arse by me, we all know the arguments; and we all know what machines we like to use lets leave it at that.
dam macs
Old 01-02-2003, 12:37 PM   #13
buco
Full Access Member

Tested with IE 5.2 MacOs 10.2.3: it seems a script problem: when I click on a preset the pointer change as it is executing a script but nothing happens. If I click with the right mouse button and download the link it seems to work (I didn't tested the downloaded file yet) but the file's name is always dyn01.pl (that should be the perl script's name called for download); thus if I try with another preset I have to rename it before to download to avoid the overwriting. With 'Magic particles' it works and in the download folder I find a zip file called 'dyn01 2.pl' and the unzipped folder called 'dyn01 2.pl Folder' with all the files inside; what it sound strange to me is how the system can recognise the file as a zipped one if the extention is .pl. Another thing: if I click on the 'read me' related to the preset I get a 'forbidden' message (error 403); could it be a unix/linux permission issue causing all these troubles?
Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:51 PM   #14
Kvaalen
Full Access Member

Hmm.... That is strange....

BTW it doesn't have a readme, I get a "Forbidden" message (and I have a pc) when I click on the readme.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:10 PM   #15
buco
Full Access Member

Ok, so it isn't a permission issue; 403 is caused by missing file.
This is my desktop after some download (dyn 02.pl was renamed by me) and all the other files with the zip icon were downloaded just left clicking on the link. At this point I'm realizing that I'm not saying anything new.. Sorry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bo.jpg (28.2 KB, 55 views)