Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Your Work > W.I.P
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 13-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
Chris Knox
Full Access Member

Default The Red Room

So I was toying with the idea of creating an image to process and frame and hang in my poker room, and I thought that a close up of my new custom chips in play might make for some nice imagery. I had a little trouble in the beginning with the right approach to the models as there are many overlapping elements that could easily get in the way of each other, and I am not exactly a seasoned texturer to begin with, but I suppose I did okay.

The trouble is, okay just isn't good enough. I've learned a few things along the way and at this point, I'd like to call upon the members of this forum for advice on how to get this project to completion as far as further pushing the image into a photo realistic depiction of the subject.

Some notes to head off some of the obvious suggestions that may come up:

1. The chip edges already have bevels along the outer and inner locations as well as the mold of the chip centers. There are no sharp edges in the scene, and the ACTUAL chips do have very sharp edges themselves.

2. The scene consists of a single area light and radiosity, with a few small negative lights thrown in for balance in key places. I was thinking of going with a three light setup, but I was afraid that I might blow out some of the effects I was getting on the front chip labels that I happen to like.

3. The transparent grid on the face of the chips and the 'smearing' on the edge spots is intentional and a part of the clay chip making process.

4. Though the actual chips are double sided, the chip models in the scene are all single sided and the chips where you only see their edges are just that, the centers are removed in hopes of saving render time (I call them spacers)--does that even matter? Do items the camera does not see get rendered?

Thank you in advance for all of your comments and criticisms. I am really trying to get as photo realistic as possible with this scene so that I can educate myself on the whole process. I added table debris (lint and an occasional eyelash) in order to ramp up the feeling of realism, but I wanted to get some advice on the direction I am heading in so far before I call it quits on this project.

Again thanks,

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chip.jpg (255.0 KB, 78 views)
Chris Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
rwhunt99
Full Access Member

So Chris, let me get this straight, The chips are clay?

I think you have done a good job on the scene.

The chips look too "new" perhaps a very tiny "micro bevel" on the edges I know you say there are some, you might need to exagerate them a bit. Better ding them up a bit. add a subtle bit of noise to the texture map too(Noise is your friend, it prevents that "CG" look). if you say they are clay, then add a bit of bump to give them a slightly rougher texture ( maybe invert the bump). subtlety is the key here. Sometimes, truly realistic might be a bit boring, no offense.

I would work a bit on the lighting to get better shadowing especially at the base of the stack of chips. and perhaps the cards. I'm not sure if radiosity is the bestlighting in this situation
I would prefer a bit "moodier" lighting with a bit more contrast but that is up to you. Spot lights allow the use of shadow maps, and the spinning light trick can give you radiosity style lighting with better shadows.you can even add some volumetric lighting along with some fog(think smoky) effects.

The table texture is good but, I would do something more with the texture for the table either add some bump or even use a bit of displacement to bring out the weave or threads.

I know it might sound like a lot but actually just a little work and you will have it nailed, good luck :blush:
Old 15-02-2007, 11:18 PM   #3
admiralbcd
Full Access Member

yep, totally agree with rwhunt99

You've done very nice work so far !

question : are the cards really that less reflective ?
It could help to give them some more specularity, maybe even bend them a tiny little bit ( I admit, some gamblers would probably ask a new deck, but it's more interesting for light effects than a flat card) . Some decks also have some wovenfabric-like bump, which is also interesting.

Also, for the chips, although not necessarily accurate, it might be more interesting to add a bit of specularity and break it up with a tiny fractalbump.
admiralbcd is offline   Reply With Quote