Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Categories > Rendering, Lighting, Texturing and Effects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 13-01-2005, 03:17 AM   #1
johnflesh
Registered Member

Default Object as Light source?

Was wondering if there is a way to make an object either a light or a light source. In MAX I can make an object and turn it into a light of my desire. Since Lightwave is my main 3d program, just searching for the key to this.

This would be used in masses (objects) lighting the areas. Like a sphere or dome, that lit up, such as a sconce or bulb.

Best I got now is to make the lightbulb then position lights around it or inside and remove the bulb (object) from the list of shadow casting. But it looks wrong on render.

Any clues or suggestions?
thanks
Old 13-01-2005, 06:31 PM   #2
Mark
Super Moderator

Yep, you need to enable radiosity (Lights/Properties/Global Illumination), and then simply crank up the luminosity channel on your object's surfaces. As soon as Lum goes over 0% they'll start acting as light sources.

Be warned though - (1) You'll probably have to get your objects luminsoity channels well over 100% for them to really interact with the environment (which will completely wash out the other surface properties) and (2) Be prepared for geological render times.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote