Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Your Work > W.I.P
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 13-03-2004, 06:16 PM   #1
Mark
Super Moderator

Cool An amp for the Strat...

Well, here's the first FPrime output of the stack I'm putting together for my Strat collection...

The actual amp fascia is just a simple placeholder image at the moment, and none of the surfacing is even part way there yet.

The Marshall logo is entirely modelled by hand and weighs in at around 1000 polys all by itself. The entire model so far is 115077 polys and rising...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg worleyvision.jpg (65.7 KB, 110 views)
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2004, 09:05 PM   #2
Fallenswordsman

Looks good, Mark - the modelling looks fine - should look superb once you've got this puppy properly textured.
Fallenswordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2004, 01:52 AM   #3
Mark
Super Moderator

Right. Here we go with the first test render with proper textures.

I still need to texture around the back of the amp, and also finish some modelling off around there then I can move onto the speaker cabs.

Also, if anyone has a high resolution scan of the Marshall signature that is signed on the right hand side of the front panel of these amps, or can take a high res photo, then that would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: png jcm800texturetest01.png (776.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 14-03-2004, 11:27 AM   #4
moenzi
Full Access Member

Looks realy nice mark love the detail on the outside of the amp
I've got one like that at home and think it looks almost like yhe real thing
moenzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2004, 11:31 AM   #5
moenzi
Full Access Member

the only thing that boddering me are the buttons they normaly have the same metal look like the control panel and they have a stripe on them
but don't get me wrong it think it looks fantastic these are verry verry smal details
Old 14-03-2004, 11:45 AM   #6
moenzi
Full Access Member

oh befor I forget mine is not signed so I'm verry sorry but no pic
Old 14-03-2004, 12:38 PM   #7
Mark
Super Moderator

Moenzi, thanks for the comments. I know that the knobs aren't finished yet. I've still got some texturing to do. but this was the state is was in last night (started at around 10am, finished at around 2am - worked solid pretty much all day).

I managed to eventually get the signature from the JCM 800 2230 reissue manual on Marshall's website. Just a little touchup in Photoshup, and it looks the biz.

I've currently now got it to the stage where the back panel is just about textured, and all the modelling is done there too. I need to model the valves and caps sitting on top of the amp, and also texture the mesh panel that sits in front of them - that and the feet should finish this off (I'm hoping to pretty much have this complete by the end of today).

Once that's done, I can work on the cabs...

There is one glaring problem that I think I've stumbled upon, and that is the front panel of this is worked after the JCM800 2230 Reissue amps. However, the reference shot that I've used for the rear panel is from an original JCM800 50W Lead, so the model is slightly inaccurate. Also, the shot I have of the rear panel is rather poor, so I've not managed to get all the detail in there, but it looks respectable enough for now...
Old 14-03-2004, 02:00 PM   #8
moenzi
Full Access Member

witch texture did you use for outside of the amp?
Old 14-03-2004, 04:37 PM   #9
Mark
Super Moderator

The buffalo hide is purely procedural. I've posted it to the presets/cloth section (since it is actually a cloth covering).

However, I'm not currently seeing it in the preset list.

I'll PM David to see what's happened.

[EDIT] Right - well I can get to the preset through the latest 5 uploads list, so you'll be able to get it whilst it's in there...

Here's a direct link to the page as well: http://www.simplylightwave.com/downl...tid=2&typeid=1
Old 14-03-2004, 08:07 PM   #10
Mark
Super Moderator

Right, we now have some more renders...

I've pretty much got the Head complete now. I'll need to revisit the texturing on the back at some time assuming I can get a good reference image for this model Amp. The Cab is now pretty much done as well. I still need to add cab handles, cab divots (for the castors), and to dirty up the castor wheels. I also need to model the interior of the amp (valves, caps, transformer, etc), but again, this is dependent on getting some good reference pics.

One thing that is letting me down at the moment is the shadows in the renders. I'm getting some pretty awful artifacts with the shadow maps. I think this is down to the wierd intersections that some of the geometry has (such as the top of the amp chassis with the wooden front panel) - I've not tried ray-traced shadows yet, so an area light might sort out the problem)...

C&C welcome:

The full 1/2 stack:

Closeup of the power switch:

Shot of the rear panel:
Old 14-03-2004, 08:28 PM   #11
moenzi
Full Access Member

just love it, just love it
Old 14-03-2004, 09:05 PM   #12
Fallenswordsman

Looking really nice, Mark. No real crits here. Have you made a transparent power switch there and lit it from the inside?
Fallenswordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2004, 09:55 PM   #13
Kevin

just really the cab speaker main area that dont look the right texture (material) aside that its damn neat
Old 14-03-2004, 10:11 PM   #14
Claudio
Full Access Member

Great details.... I love it....
One thing I like the most on any work posted here are those closeups.
Old 14-03-2004, 10:28 PM   #15
Mark
Super Moderator

Thanks all for your comments...

@Fallenswordsman - The switch is a semi-transparent subpatch object with two surfaces. The outer surface being a relatively high transparency plain red with no bump and lots of spec to make it look like nice smooth plastic. The inner surface is similar but with lower spec and a nice arrayed bump texture to give it that frosted look. Then it's all set off by three (white) point lights that sit inside the switch.

@ Kevin - I know what you mean. I'm not entirely happy with this texture myself (it was something quick and dirty I threw on there. I need to revisit it soon. However, I'm finding it difficult to get just the right settings for that strange type of nylon/cotton hybrid fabric that gets used on the front of speaker cabs. I'll crack it eventually.

@ Claudio - talking of closeups, here's the patch bay on the back of the speaker cab: