Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Competitions > Previous Challenges & Competitions Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-03-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

Default Mar/Apr Challenge Rules and Guidelines!

Mar/Apr Challenge!

More Than Meets the Eye!

After two challenges focusing on realism, it's time to get back to the fun stuff. For this challenge, the goal is to create a transformer: a vehicle that can transform into a robot/mech! The main challenge will be designing something that can make use of the same parts to form two different things.

You aren't limited to just using the same parts, however. Just like in the Transformers cartoon, heads and hands and guns and such can pop out of the innards of the machine and don't have to be visible in both the vehicle and mech incarnations of the model.

The vehicle your mech transforms into can be anything, including fictional! Let's see some air, land, and sea vehicles out there!

NO copying of existing Transformers! Feel free to have an 18-wheeler as your vehicle, but don't copy Optimus Prime!

1) Show progress! This proves that you have worked on the challenge during the challenge timeframe! Show your conceptual process as much as possible! Texturing is not required but is preferred.

If you have time, try to do an animation of your transformer making the transition from vehicle to mech! Playblasts of this are fine. Any animation links should be posted as links to off-site hosted files as much as possible.

2) Label your thread thusly:

Mar/Apr - Norm or Noob - Your name

Choose to classify yourself as a Normal or Noobie class entry. Whichever class you choose is the class your final submitted entry will compete against! A winner will be chosen from both classes.

3) Mods and Admins can enter, but are inelligible to win. If a mod chooses to participate, choose "Mod" class rather than Norm or Noob.

4) Any 3D application is applicable to participate, but as is obvious, the simply sites' main focus apps at the moment are Maya, Max, Lightwave, and Zbrush.

5) All work must be done by the participant. All work must be done within the confines of the challenge dates and not before.

6) Try not to attach images to the forum that are larger than 640x480. Feel free to host larger images yourself using 3rd party means.

7) Only one (1) entry per applicant. You can work on as many as you'd like but keep it all in one thread. Choose the one you want to enter as your final.

8) Final entries must be posted into a Final Entry thread that a mod will create in the last couple weeks of the challenge. Final entries should consist of two renders: one of the vehicle and one of the mech. If possible, composite these into one image to avoid attaching too many images to the thread. A link to any transforming animation you make can be posted as well.

The due date of the challenge is approx. 7am May 1st, USA Pacific time. Get it in before to make sure!

Normal Grand Prize - $400 US!

Newbie Grand Prize - Two Simply DVDs of his/her choice!

Ask any questions here! Make sure you check this thread periodicly for rule updates as we work out the details!
mtmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:01 PM   #2
scrdude55555
Registered Member

Do we have to make it animated? Or can we just have it as the vehicle and then right next to it what it looks like as the trasnform?
scrdude55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:39 PM   #3
Mark
Super Moderator

Nope, read the rules:

If you have time, try to do an animation of your transformer making the transition from vehicle to mech! Playblasts of this are fine. Any animation links should be posted as links to off-site hosted files as much as possible.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:09 PM   #4
bullet_evader
Registered Member

This one should get some interesting finals i think.

This time i won't enter because I never finish the competitions :headbang:

Good luck to anyone who is entering the competition.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:38 PM   #5
R4s1n
Full Access Member

Hey mtmckinley is it possible to add another month to it? Seeing as it is in the middle of March...Just wondering of course.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:29 PM   #6
cgrein
Registered Member

Sounds like an excellent challenge!

I will not enter this time but I wish good luck to
everybody.

Take a look at this video for some inspiration:
http://www.theembassyvfx.com/citroen.html
cgrein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2006, 12:45 AM   #7
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

depending on how it looks, I might extend it, but really, if I do, eventually they're all extended and the schedule is all whack! lol We'll see.
Old 13-03-2006, 04:23 AM   #8
R4s1n
Full Access Member

It's all good however it comes out.

PS. If you see any Russians in Oregon say hi to them from Pennsylvania (A few relatives running around there somewhere)
Old 23-03-2006, 10:53 PM   #9
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

Looks like everyone's progressing well. Don't forget this part:

"You aren't limited to just using the same parts, however. Just like in the Transformers cartoon, heads and hands and guns and such can pop out of the innards of the machine and don't have to be visible in both the vehicle and mech incarnations of the model."

That goes both ways, too. If there's a part of the vehicle you don't want to use in the mech, have it collapse into the body. But do make sure your mech design does convey the vehicle it transforms from!

Another thing you can keep in mind is that you can collapse, say, a car door, into the body and then have it reapear elswhere, as a new model with all of the animating pieces. Stuff like that!

I'll see where people are at the end of the month and consider whether or not the challenge will need to be extended based on its late start.

Keep it up!
Old 27-03-2006, 08:16 PM   #10
bullet_evader
Registered Member

There's a nice transformer animation on the frontpage of CGtalk.com right now!
Old 28-03-2006, 12:42 AM   #11
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

yeah I just saw it. Very nice!

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...hreadid=336742
Old 28-03-2006, 05:49 PM   #12
Mark
Super Moderator

That's pretty awesome...
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 10:39 PM   #13
Vrolfak
Registered Member

Default First time

I have visited simply lightwave many tamies before, i love the video tuts, but it´s the first time i come to the forums.... i wish i had done so before.... this contest is something i have wanted to do for a long time now. i woud have entered, had i come sooner.

:headbang:

CheerS!
Old 28-04-2006, 12:35 AM   #14
Johnny9ball
Super Moderator

This contest is almost over you will have an opportunity for a new one very soon.

Johnny9ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:39 PM   #15
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

Hope everyone managed to get done on time.

The winners will hopefully be announced by the end of the week.

The next challenge will also hopefully be detailed by tomorrow.

Thanks to all participants!