Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Lounges > LightWave Basics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 31-07-2005, 04:36 AM   #1
awilson
Full Access Member

Default Strat tut - help needed please:)

Hi everyone,
I'm on the second vid in the strat tut,creating polys by selecting 4 points and hitting 'p',so far so good - then I need to use the bandsaw to divide the polys.The first section (top left ) works fine but the right side I get a problem with 2 polys (out of 6 total) not dividing.In the statistics panel the 2 polys appear to be listed separately as ' >4 vertices - 2 ' whereas all the other polys are listed simply as ' 4 vertices - 205 '.
Can anyone kindly explain the significance of the '> ' in front of the poly listing please? Am I doing something wrong here?I tried deleting them and creating again by selecting points and hitting 'p' but kept getting the same result!
Assistance gratefully appreciated !
awilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 04:51 AM   #2
Mark
Super Moderator

The >4 in the statistics panel indicates that there are more than four points making up the polygon.

I suspect you'll find you have some points sharing the same space. Try performing a merge on the object, then remove any 2-point polygons that may find their way into the model - this might fix your problem.

The other thing to watch for is that when you create the polygons, make sure that you're not inadvertantly selecting any points through the model as this will also cause you to create degenerate polys.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 10:19 AM   #3
awilson
Full Access Member

Thanks indeed - yes,it appears that somehow one of the polys had an extra point .I tried a 'merge points' but it told me no points were eliminated so I tried 'weld' and that did the trick.
I hadn't considered the possibility of selecting points through the model so thanks for alerting me to that one!
awilson is offline   Reply With Quote