Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Competitions > Previous Challenges & Competitions Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-11-2005, 03:41 PM   #1
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

Default Nov/Dec Challenge Rules and Guidelines!

Nov/Dec Challenge!

Realism!

For this challenge, we're going to try something new and strive for realism! Create a recognizable, present-day object (any inanimate object) and make it as real looking as possible!

1) Show progress! This proves that you have worked on the challenge during the challenge timeframe! Because realism is the goal, modeling, shaders and lighting are all important to achieving the look!

2) Label your thread thusly:

Nov/Dec - Norm or Noob - Your name

Choose to classify yourself as a Normal or Noobie class entry. Whichever class you choose is the class your final submitted entry will compete against! A winner will be chosen from both classes.

3) Mods and Admins can enter, but are inelligible to win. If a mod chooses to participate, choose "Mod" class rather than Norm or Noob.

4) Applicable 3D programs are: Lightwave, Maya, 3DS Max, and Zbrush. Until we get a unified challenge forum, please post in the applicable Simply site.

5) All work must be done by the participant. All work must be done within the confines of the challenge dates and not before.

6) Try not to attach images to the forum that are larger than 640x480. Feel free to host larger images yourself.

7) Only one (1) entry per applicant. You can work on as many as you'd like but keep it all in one thread. Choose the one you want to enter as your final.

8) Final entries must be posted into a Final Entry thread that a mod will create in the last couple weeks of the challenge.

The due date of the challenge is approx. 7am Jan. 1st, USA Central time. Get it in before to make sure!

-----

Normal Grand Prize - $400 US!

*Because of difficulties shipping the previous grand prizes to certain countries, we've chosen to go for a monetary prize so that the winner can then purchase something cool for himself through his/her own local channels.

Newbie Grand Prize - Two Simply DVDs of his/her choice!

-----

A couple notes:

If you choose to do something like... a cereal box, and you map your perfectly shaped cube just right... sorry, I don't think that's going to cut it. Remember, you've got 2 months! Challenge yourself!

An environment is not required, but it can help with things like reflections and so on, so you might consider a simple environment as well. The object itself is the main judging point, though.

Good luck, and I hope everyone learns something!

-----

Ask any questions here! Make sure you check this thread periodicly for rule updates as we work out the details!
mtmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:57 PM   #2
Fallenswordsman

Realism? Ah crud - that's something I'm not too good at. Although USD400 is rather tempting! Mmmmm money! Unfortunately when it comes to challenging myself in terms of realism a dark room with nothing in it is a challenge for me
But worth having a go - I may learn something in the process and it means no frickin' rigging either
Fallenswordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 05:06 PM   #3
sake
Full Access Member

humm realisum, love doing that not too good on texturing though, will proabbly attempt to, i will enter depending on time, i have alot on mi plate atm... woot food:attn:

Last edited by sake; 05-11-2005 at 10:57 AM.
sake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:59 AM   #4
R4s1n
Full Access Member

I think it's time i dipped my spoon into HDRI and texturing, going to make some time for this challenge. Party on!
Old 06-11-2005, 08:02 PM   #5
KrisYoung1980
Registered Member

Mince!!! Thats what I get for sticking my neck out and putting my name up before the topic was announced, never even come close to doing realism before... oh well gotta be a 1st time for everything!
:beer:
KrisYoung1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:28 AM   #6
Fallenswordsman

That's part of the joy of these challenges, Kris - if it was something you knew how to do, it wouldn't be a challenge. I've never done realism before but I'm going to have a good go and for some dumb reason (probably greed), I've decided to go for Norm entry rather than Noob

C'mon have a go! You'll learn stuff!
Old 07-11-2005, 03:37 PM   #7
KrisYoung1980
Registered Member

Will have a go, but might not see it through depending on how the coursework is sitting, my face is numb at the moment from lack of sleep trying to get stuff done for presentations and hand-ins!
KrisYoung1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:11 PM   #8
colto
Registered Member

By realism do you mean just visual realism, or both visual AND situational realism? In other words could it be a surrealistic style render that is photorealistic? Just thought that might put an interesting spin on a project entry. It looks so real, but it's obviously fake/impossible.

colto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:14 AM   #9
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

the theme is to attempt to make an object look real from the modeling, shaders, and lighting.

What exactly do you have in mind?
Old 11-11-2005, 06:44 AM   #10
bigjopa
Full Access Member

If have been posting in one catacgory, can I choose to change the catagory for my final entry?
bigjopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:15 PM   #11
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

yes
Old 21-11-2005, 08:22 AM   #12
Fallenswordsman

Mike - quick question for you. Since we are going for more of a realistic object, are we restricted to one render of the final object or can we submit multiple renders?
Old 21-11-2005, 01:04 PM   #13
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

multiple renders is fine. just don't go over board.
Old 21-11-2005, 02:12 PM   #14
Fallenswordsman

Cheers Mike, its just with my entry I was wondering if I should render with the face closed or open - at least now I have the option of both although it does mean more detail on the face
Old 24-12-2005, 06:19 PM   #15
bigjopa
Full Access Member

Alright, stupid question. Is there 1 winner from each simply site, or just one winner total from each catagory?
bigjopa is offline   Reply With Quote