Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Categories > Modeling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 13-01-2004, 11:59 PM   #1
pixelone
Registered Member

Default Modeling

Well I hate to admit it, but I am a "Newbie" I am just getting my feat wet. I need help figuring out how to start this project in my brain.

Say I want to model a boat like the "Black pearl" from pirates of the caribbean - how exactly would I go about doing that?

Could I scan the image in and trace it? How is done? How do you guys and girls get those awsome looking 3D models.

Please tell me I am going crazy..

Thank you..

"Nothing is impossible, simpley balance. If it cannot be done- it can be done. There must be balance.."
pixelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2004, 01:37 AM   #2
kumar
Full Access Member

Hmm, first of all you need reference pictures. One side view and one front. You can either put them into your backdrop and start modelling away or keep looking at them when you need it. Different methods of modelling will need you to refer to the images differently. The box modelling method, you dont need to really put a backdrop image but need to refer to the overall shape of it. And once you have it then go into the details. But the detail out method will need the backdrop and starting at one of the details, work your way out. Look at the head modelling tutorial or Mc Laren tutorial for the further explanation of modelling techniques and see the Modeller UI or some other tutorials to get you up to speed.

As for weather you should scan it or not... Of course yes, the more reference you have the more accurate your model will be. Your modelling will also be smooth. Wont get into jams and so forth. As for tracing... dont really need to do that, try some freehand concepts if you really want to change some of the look and so forth.

I would recommend either use splines or the box modelling method to start on the base of the boat. Splines are difficult at first but really useful in some cases. Box modelling is like clay, you keep adjusting and detailing as you go, so a good understanding of your model is required.

Hope any of this helps you,
Good Luck
Kumar,
Download some videos off this site and try something easy first before attempting something larger.
kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2004, 03:20 AM   #3
Johnny9ball
Super Moderator

I dont want to sound like a borken record but you should try some of the modeling tutorials here. Going through the Mclaren and Stratocaster modeling tutorial you will gain Tons if invaluable skills in modeling. Just going through both those I feel 100x more confident with my modeling.

Johnny9ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2004, 11:37 AM   #4
H.I.O.M
Registered Member

I agree whith Johnny9ball...

without the tutorials of this site I don't think I would have been anywhere into modeling more than boxes and balls whith no texturing on it.

highberger_fluff@hotmail.com
H.I.O.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2004, 04:21 PM   #5
pixelone
Registered Member

Default Modeling

Thank you guys so much. What you said really helped out a lot. I will foolow your guides, for their is no better guidance than from the pros..

So many weird ideas in my head that does not exist in this world as of yet are bursting to come out..

I love this stuff..

Breaking open a can of pringles and I have some double moca expresso..

Until then guys..

Much respect to you all;

Kumar, Johny9ball.. thanks.
Old 14-01-2004, 07:44 PM   #6
R4s1n
Full Access Member

hey don't forget to post your progress of the ship, we wouldn't want to miss it
Old 14-01-2004, 11:39 PM   #7
pixelone
Registered Member

Oh, I will. I need the critiquing so I can become as great as yourselves.

Thank you.