Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Categories > Rendering, Lighting, Texturing and Effects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 14-03-2004, 02:55 AM   #1
Hubzy
Registered Member

Default Text Sharpness

I'm attempting a text intensive animation. As mentioned by H.I.O.M, There is that prevalent fuzzy blur issue that seems to occur with the slightest bit of anti aliasing.

Ultimately, I would like to intergrate this with text in After Effects (very crisp corners).

Any guidelines or tips regarding text treatment (lighting, surfacing....) would be amazing.
Hubzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2004, 03:44 AM   #2
Mark
Super Moderator

You could try switching off AA entirely and render your sequence at 2x resolution. When the animation is scaled down, the images should be resampled to give an acceptable level of blurring without messing the image too much.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2004, 10:01 PM   #3
Hubzy
Registered Member

Mark, thanks for the suggestion. It seems logical that aliased typed would work.

I used True type (helvetica) with a Mac. after rendering it a 200%, and then sizing it back down in After Effects, I still had significant pixilated edges.

Do you have any idea what I might of done wrong.
Old 14-03-2004, 10:32 PM   #4
philip
Tutorial Clown

one thing that comes to mind is that you might want to check your camera properties and make sure the soft filter is disabled.
Old 14-03-2004, 10:32 PM   #5
Mark
Super Moderator

Not entirely sure as I'm not that familiar with After Effects. It could be the interpolation type you've used on the text - make sure you're using a bicubic interpolation as opposed to bilinear - that should help. You may also want to think about adding a little gaussian blur to your text after shrinking it - a very light setting between .5px and 2px should do the trick.
Old 15-03-2004, 07:34 AM   #6
Hubzy
Registered Member

Mark and Philip, excellent advice! I initially rendered the text at 2x rez. It looked OK. Then I rendered it at 4x. Perfect! couldn't be crispier. Thanks guys.
Old 15-03-2004, 08:35 PM   #7
Mark
Super Moderator

Not a problem. Always glad to help... :0