Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Lounges > Members Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 31-01-2004, 01:34 AM   #1
Leovenous
Full Access Member

Arrow Pix a fight

Anybody see this. Somebody is greedy... not exactly sure who. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out in the next few years.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...ss/7828895.htm
Leovenous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2004, 03:18 AM   #2
Cchristensen
Full Access Member

This has been brewing since Toy Story 2. Eisner's short-sighted greed killed that relationship. Pixar with fare better than Disney after the split. I am not sure where they are at currently but right before Monsters Inc came out they had just built a new fancy office, had $200+ million in assets, and no debt. On the other hand, about half of Disney's profits came from Pixar.
Cchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2004, 04:17 AM   #3
Leovenous
Full Access Member

True, but how hard can it be for Disney to get a good team together? If I remember right Blue Sky (or whatever the Ice Age company is called) was a pretty thrown together conglomeration before they got job from Fox.

I agree that its a bad idea for Disney to pull away from Pixar, but I think if they are poineering enough, they'll be fine in the long run.

The only think I'll say in Disney's defense is with the copyright issue. Pixar has thier feet in a lot of ponds and I think Disney has been carefully harboring its characters and styles and wants to keep it that way.

I think Disney has been stuck inside a box ever since the Little Mermaid... to much pop culture stuff, but I suppose that is another subject. At least they have the sense to have several production teams so a few of them dont stink.

Thats what I think.

Last edited by Leovenous; 31-01-2004 at 04:20 AM.
Old 31-01-2004, 04:27 AM   #4
Cchristensen
Full Access Member

Blue Sky was doing movie segments and smaller projects before Ice Age so they had an experienced core.

The problem with Disney is they can go out and hire all the best talent in the world but if without a good story (something they seem to be alergic to) they might as well be making Old School III.
Old 31-01-2004, 05:24 AM   #5
Leovenous
Full Access Member

Ahh, now your getting into staff writers, which is another subject too. I write screenplays as a hobby, so I have nosed around in that. Generally I think staff writers are some of the most overpaid, underproductive professionals in existance, next to wine tasters.

Anyway sequels to most any movie stink because of staff writers... even if it is the original writer then hired. Also, part of the pop culture thing, I think Disney beats up original stories more than most film companies. Also, they try to remake historical stories when they are actually doing everything the same (again, the pop culture thing) and even doing a poor job at authenticity.

So yes, story-wise they have a lot going against them. I remember someone on the monsters inc project saying that they'd rather have blocky animation than a bad story. An idea that would no doubt benifit Disney.

Ahhh, I like getting all this off my chest.
Old 31-01-2004, 12:57 PM   #6
Mark
Super Moderator

I have to agree - unless Disney can make some pretty great leaps in the box office area, I think they'll end up being a shadow of their former selves. Pixar are in a really commanding position now. They're pretty much regarded as the leader in feature length computer animation, and I'll suspect that the current crop of College Animation and Computer imaging graduates are thinking Pixar first and Disney somewhere much further down their list...

To be honest, I personally think that Disney need to go back and look at the core values that made them great back in the 1940's, 1950's, but without another Walt Disney (or John Lassetter) then I think they're on a hiding to nothing...

Just my $0.02..
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2004, 04:21 PM   #7
Cchristensen
Full Access Member

Originally posted by Leovenous
Also, they try to remake historical stories when they are actually doing everything the same (again, the pop culture thing) and even doing a poor job at authenticity.
What are you trying to say? That Pocohontas wasn't a 12 year old with large breasts and a thin barbie doll waist in real life? And that John Smith wasn't a young blonde man at that time but instead and older, short homely guy with a beard?
Old 31-01-2004, 05:15 PM   #8
Leovenous
Full Access Member

I think you got the point.

I'm not against Disney overall. I just don't like what they are doing. I agree with Mark completely. I would be very happy if they manage to put together a good team, make awsome films, and again be the best of the best in the animation business.

Last edited by Leovenous; 31-01-2004 at 05:18 PM.