Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Competitions > Previous Challenges & Competitions Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-01-2006, 07:33 PM   #1
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

Default Jan/Feb Challenge Rules and Guidelines!

Jan/Feb Challenge!

Realism: Organic!

For this challenge, we're going to continue on the heals of the last challenge, but this time, go for organic realism! Create a recognizable animal's head and make it as real looking as possible! Make sure you look at all the existing entries and try to pick something no one has picked yet.

1) Show progress! This proves that you have worked on the challenge during the challenge timeframe! Because realism is the goal, modeling, shaders and lighting are all important to achieving the look! Make sure you give yourself at the very least, the last couple weeks of the challenge to devote to the shading and lighting that really push a model toware the "realism" goal!

2) Label your thread thusly:

Jan/Feb - Norm or Noob - Your name

Choose to classify yourself as a Normal or Noobie class entry. Whichever class you choose is the class your final submitted entry will compete against! A winner will be chosen from both classes.

3) Mods and Admins can enter, but are inelligible to win. If a mod chooses to participate, choose "Mod" class rather than Norm or Noob.

4) Applicable 3D programs are: Lightwave, Maya, 3DS Max, and Zbrush. Until we get a unified challenge forum, please post in the applicable Simply site.

5) All work must be done by the participant. All work must be done within the confines of the challenge dates and not before.

6) Try not to attach images to the forum that are larger than 640x480. Feel free to host larger images yourself.

7) Only one (1) entry per applicant. You can work on as many as you'd like but keep it all in one thread. Choose the one you want to enter as your final.

8) Final entries must be posted into a Final Entry thread that a mod will create in the last couple weeks of the challenge.

The due date of the challenge is approx. 7am March 1st, USA Central time. Get it in before to make sure!

Normal Grand Prize - $400 US!

Newbie Grand Prize - Two Simply DVDs of his/her choice!

Ask any questions here! Make sure you check this thread periodicly for rule updates as we work out the details!
mtmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:32 PM   #2
BlAd3
Registered Member

Count me in! just a question tho... does it have to be an animal's head?
BlAd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:30 AM   #3
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

Doesn't have to be an animal, but it does need to be something recognizable and from Earth... no aliens. You can do, for example, your sister but post a photo! lol
Old 04-01-2006, 11:24 AM   #4
sake
Full Access Member

Just a quetsion say if were doing an animal are we aloud to use sas-lite?
Old 04-01-2006, 07:17 PM   #5
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

could you define what that is and what it does?
Old 04-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #6
sake
Full Access Member

its the plugin that comes with lightwave that genrates hair, its the stipped down version of sasquash (cant spell it)
Old 05-01-2006, 02:54 AM   #7
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

Sure, that's fine. Most apps have some kind of fur/hair application these days.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:13 PM   #8
bullet_evader
Registered Member

I must say. Great prices the last few months.
and great competition subject this month too.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:25 PM   #9
colto
Registered Member

What is going to be more important in this challenge? Modelling or Lighting/Rendering?

colto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:06 PM   #10
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

I'd say lighting and rendering would outweight the importance of modeling, but not totally take it away. All aspects are going to be very important to work together toward the goal of realism.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:27 PM   #11
cgrein
Registered Member

Are we allowed to use only native Lightwave plugins (like Sas-Lite) or the full version (Sasquatch) can be used too?
cgrein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:02 PM   #12
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

I don't know much about Lightwave, but I figure, if you've got it, use it.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:44 AM   #13
Fallenswordsman

Mike -

The thing about Lightwave is that it is very plug-in ridden - people like adding additional features to Lightwave to make it do this or that or just to improve workflow. Sasquatch is a commercial plug-in used to generate fur/hair. It requires Lightwave to work in the first place and is highly integrated into the Lightwave Layout module of Lightwave.

I think the fuzzy line needs to be potentially drawn though if someone wants to use something like Messiah which is almost a separate program that can be used for rendering or animation - at this point we need to make a distinction of whether or not it can be used - or maybe in the future, something like Maxwell Render which isn't so much of a plug-in as a separate program. But maybe we should cross this bridge when we get to it

There may well come a time, however, when a line does need to be drawn as to what exactly can be used in the workflow, for example the use of XSI as a modeller drew up some "You can't do that" comments over in SimplyMaya.
Fallenswordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 10:14 PM   #14
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

I'm going to be moving about 2300 miles at the end of the month, so there may be some delay in getting the challenge results and the new challenge up.
Old 15-02-2006, 07:26 AM   #15
R4s1n
Full Access Member

Are you moving towards East USA or just North?
(If you don't mind me asking :bandit: )