Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Lounges > LightWave Basics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-08-2007, 04:12 PM   #1
Ave
Registered Member

Default basic head modeling tutorial

Iv just finished working through the basic head modeling tutorial from the free video section- it says that you can get the next parts (detailing) in the vip area- were these tutorials ever made- or am I missing something??
Ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:40 PM   #2
leroy3rd
Lifetime Member

I don't think they ever finished this one... I tend to wait until tutes are done before even purchaseing the first, just too be sure.

-LeRoy3rd
leroy3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:14 AM   #3
Fallenswordsman

Probably not - there are a couple of tutes of Philip's that didn't get finished before he moved on to bigger and better things. Yoda head modelling is one of them, the basic head modelling I believe is the other. Nowadays tutes get released as full tutes rather than back in the olde days when they got released as single parts with just Philip doing them when he found time.
Fallenswordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
Camus
Registered Member

damn im looking for a fll head modeling tutorial
Camus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
Ave
Registered Member

the free one is still a pretty good tutorial, and shows you enough to get started- in fact so far its the best head tutorial iv managed to find- and iv probably looked at about 6 or 7- everytime i would spend hours on it, get to a point and then cant figure out what the dude did...... this one was the first i actually managed to complete....... pitty it was never finished, thats definately something I would pay for..... are new tutorials still being made by the way???
Old 08-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #6
Fallenswordsman

Ave - I think there are always tutes on the way although its difficult to say when they will be produced. Philip was, for a long time, the site's only tutorial writer and he went off to work with Maya on some fairly hefty jobs.

After that came Dave Mitchell who has done some great tutes including the recent Sherman Tank tutorial - I believe he's still active.

We've also got another couple of writers who have, thusfar only done one tute apiece - the Star Trek craft one and the walk cycle one. I think we may see more once the sites merge into one, but as to when, we don't know. It does take quite a while to write some of these tutes as you might expect. I remember when Philip was doing the Stratocaster tute and he would post the odd part every so often - I think it took him months to complete.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:26 AM   #7
Ave
Registered Member

tell me about it!! im sure it takes forever to do....... there must be quite a huge market for this kind of thing tho- besides for a few basic how lightwave works type video tutorials like the ones at 3d garage or newtek or kurv, there dont seem to be too many video tutorials that teach you how to do a specific task- like modeling a mech, a sherman tank etc..... those are the ones I enjoy, and it seems like only simplylightwave is currently doing that

yeah davids done some killer tutorials- i just bought the cartoon bundle with the caveman, fishy, graveyard and rocket tuts...... cant wait to start those- im like a kid before christmas- I cant concentrate on my work!!!!!!
Old 09-08-2007, 06:35 AM   #8
Fallenswordsman

I think the best tutes are the ones you learn the most from in which case things need to be explained as it goes - there's no point in tutes that just say "Do this, do that, do the other" - whilst you get some idea from the tools used, you don't learn much as to the "Why" of the tool or much beyond the scope of the use itself. I remember watching a few tutes myself and whilst impressed with the skills, learnt absolutely nothing due to nothing being explained.

I can only vouch for the fishy tutorial out of the cartoon pack and I have to say it did teach me a lot about cartoon modelling and animation basics. :beer: