Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Categories > Modeling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 23-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
taladas
Registered Member

Default Double Moebius Strip

Hi all,

I find myself needing to model an infinity symbol made out of two "connected" moebius strips.. see the top part of the image I attached here for what I kind of mean.

I got as far as creating the strip, twisting it 360º along the long axis and bending it back on itself, as you can see at the bottom of the attached image. All I have left to do now is "shift" the blue "sides" towards -X and the red "sides" towards +X, in order to achieve the correct effect. Try as I might though, I can't do this properly. I tried bending, rotating, even moving points around manually, but nothing seems to give me the correct end result. Any ideas at all?

Also, if I wanted a ball to travel along this loop, any hints on how to make it "stick" to it?

Many, many thanks,

D.
Attached Images
File Type: png dm.png (177.4 KB, 60 views)
taladas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 02:55 AM   #2
taladas
Registered Member

HA! Got it!

- grab half of each curve
- rotate from top view
- bend back from front view the same amount of degrees

Final result attached.. what a weird-looking thing, eh?

Second question still stands: if I want to make a ball "roll" along this thing, do I have to key every frame manually, or is there a way to say "stick to this and keep rolling"?

D.
Attached Images
File Type: png dm-done.png (213.9 KB, 58 views)
taladas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
rwhunt99
Full Access Member

There's a couple of ways to do that. You might want to try the sticky plug in (I'm not sure what version you are using but I think it's in starting with either 9.0 or 9.2

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/products/LightW...eos/Sticky.mov

You might have to doit with a null and then paernt the ball to the null. You can use relativity to help you get the ball to roll along the hoops.