Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Categories > Animation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-05-2008, 02:18 AM   #1
jimiman
Full Access Member

Default Can you create an animation library?

Ok this is probably a bit of a n00b question but i have no idea how i would go about doing this.

Is it possible to create a libary of animations in lightwave?

For example, could i make a walk cycle, run cylce, jump, climb, crouch, thow, etc. Save each individual sequence and call them up as required?

Like if my character was standing then jogged,burst in to a sprint, jumped and rolled could I hav each part of the sequence pre animated than just sorta plug them?
jimiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:37 AM   #2
NoStr0m0
Registered Member

Yes

:p It's called Motion Mixer or F2.

What you need to do is create your motion, keyframe it, select all the bones/parts that you want to move then press F2 and click Create Actor and give it a name. After that click Create Motion, add a suggestive name like WalkFWD or something and select the frame interval where you have the motion. (Say you have a walk cycle between frames 0 and 15, where 15 is the same as 0, then you would chose start frame 1 and end frame 15. If you go from 0 to 15 you'll have two identical frames and it won't loop smoothly.)
The last part, the clear interval check box means that the motion will be saved and then the keyframes you created will be erased from the scene to keep things tidy. If you later need to edit the keyframes, there's an option there to let you recreate them in the scene. I would recommend creating the motions in a mock up scene and keep the keyframes just in case.

Save the motion from the motion menu, then, when you need it, just click add motion from the timeline on the right, first button on the left and select your motion, a rectangle will appear and you can place it anywhere. You can add transitions to ease in and out or between of motions, and a lot of other cool things. But I'll let you play and find out for yourself.

Well, that's about it.
Cheers!
Old 06-05-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
jimiman
Full Access Member

thanks NoStr0m0,

I shall have a play aboutwith that
jimiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:33 AM   #4
asha_hardwire
Registered Member

Ah this is great! But what if I want to use the motion for a different character? how do I import the .hmot motion file to the other character (identical rigs)?

I tried creating a new actor (for the new character) but when I load the motion, I don't see any movement. I always get a "1 items is not part of the actor" thingy error. How do I rectify this?

Fantastic explanation btw Nostromo.

asha_hardwire
asha_hardwire is offline   Reply With Quote