Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Categories > Animation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 23-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
smyle
Full Access Member

Default Character Rigging Video Tutorial Help

Hi There,

I am currently going through the character Rigging video Tutorial and have come across a problem.

I have just moved the model in to layout and created all of the bones without a problem, however in the tutorial I have to add another child bone to the pelvis to stop deformation of the upper leg joint, after adding the bone I need to adjust the rest length, this is where my problem starts, my model seams to lose all geometry, and collapses in to a mess and from here I have no way of undoing the problem and have to start over in layout.

I have tried this 100 times now all with the same results, if anyone could help me that would be much appreciated.

If it helps I am running version 9.2
smyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 12:36 AM   #2
TowerFan
Full Access Member

Ahh, the old scrunched-and-munged-up-geometry-while-rigging problem. OK. The last time this happened to me I did this and it worked.

Make sure your character is in it's default pose (da Vinci pose for example). Make sure all bones are on and go through every bone and re-record it's rest position. Use the "Record Bone Rest Position" tool under Setup -> Modify -> Orientation.

Not sure if the bones have to be on or not but this should fix it.

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
s2-speedy
Registered Member

same thing happened to me while doin the competition on this website - my model got screwed up but i fixed it too usin same method as Towerfan hope u manage 2 fix it.
s2-speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
smyle
Full Access Member

Just had a chance to try this again, and resting all of the bones
did the trick, is this something that i will have to do now and then, or is there a way of stopping it happen?

Thanks for you help!!
smyle is offline   Reply With Quote