Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Competitions > Previous Challenges & Competitions Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 21-01-2008, 03:08 AM   #1
Ave
Registered Member

Default Ave- winter challenge

hey chaps

I think I may have a crack at this winter challenge- yeah I know this is going to be an extremely late entry- but what da heck, I may be able to get something done if I start straight away.....and I cant let only one person from SL enter- that just would be right... I got yr back speedy

I had this thought right in the beginning, but it was a bit too similar to Jocco's, so now that he is no longer entering I think I should go for it

ok Im creating a cartoon at the moment, and thought this would be a great place to start and slot it in when its done...... so the thought is this-in the cartoon the guys switch on the tv and rocky 10 is showing, and old sylvester is like this 90 year old senile geriatric, still thinking he can kick @ss on the canvas, for this challenge I want to do a movie poster with him poised like one of those 1930 boxers, his trunks pulled up to his arm pits, hunched back, balding gray hair etc

I did a quick sylvester, and put a quick crumple texture on him, (which iv included below), but I didnt like the way it was turning out, I couldnt get the eyes right and he still looked too young, so iv abandoned that one, but I thought I would include it so you can see I am doing something

so now I think im going to rather just do an old dude instead, no resemblance to sylvester and go for a way more cartoony look.

some of the challenges I may face is that my computer is as old as the 90 year old sylvester- its wooden and has like a crank handle on the side of it- ok not that bad, but im going to have to keep it at quite a low polly count, so I cant do crowds- ill have to do him just posing or something

ok well ill keep yu updated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sylvester.jpg (36.9 KB, 72 views)
Ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 03:17 AM   #2
Ave
Registered Member

here is the initial design- and incase u were wondering my backdrops are always very simple, because I dont really like drawing, I prefer to start simple and then manipulate the object till it feels right....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldman side.jpg (55.4 KB, 70 views)
Old 21-01-2008, 03:23 AM   #3
s2-speedy
Registered Member

hey hey ave glad 2 have sum backup. better late than never i say

lovin ur idea, that sly stalone looks really good looks jus like him mayb more wrinkles and grey/ bald hair wud make him more old looking, but seein as u startin wiv a new guy, i like the look of him too.

Its great too come and check my thread and see a new challenger hopefully we get a lightwave win in feb

All the best with this. ill b checkin bk regularly - good luck
s2-speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 03:59 AM   #4
Ave
Registered Member

thanks hey I really appreciate your support, im actually quite excited to get into this- and I agree- we have to get a win for SL!!!!!!- maya's going down!!!!

:attn:

and not just to give a complement for a complement, but your work is freeeeking excellent- im loving what you doing with this challenge- cant wait to see the end result......
Old 21-01-2008, 06:45 AM   #5
Ave
Registered Member

ok got my first screen shot- obviously there is still a lot to do on the face, but iv got the basic shape now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old man1.jpg (50.0 KB, 69 views)
Old 21-01-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
Ave
Registered Member

hmmmmm i was looking at my first model, and am now not too sure which one to go for- im wondering if I should give sly another shot, I think s2-speedy may be right, I may be able to get him looking a bit older, with some basic stuff like gray hair etc, and it may be funnier if you can still recognize him.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sylvester5.jpg (56.8 KB, 71 views)
Old 21-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
s2-speedy
Registered Member

Thanks 4 the complement mate, appreicate it

Both of your models r looking really good. Hard to chose between the two. i think they both would b fun to model and both would have a funny outcome at the end as they both old. i was goin to say if you had time you could model them both like Old Rocky Vs Old guy.

But if ur just goin for 1, i think id give Rocky ago. It seems to be a bit more funnier as he dont know when to give up, you could jus imagine him fighting all his life - i mean the rocky balboa movie, how old is he in that 60 odd or somthin hahaha

But its your challenge so its up to you, i think they both b fun either way.
Old 21-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #8
Ave
Registered Member

bwaaaahahahahahaha , the dudes an energizer bunny-

thats actually quite a cool idea, but instead of the opponent, something that may look funny is to make the old man his coach- standing there holding those "not too sure what they called" 2 small round hand held boxing pads things, that they always use in practice-haha these two geriatrics, the old coach lying at a propped up 45 degree angle, the oxygen over his mouth, still with the coach whistle around his neck, giving sly a lesson :-) I can even make the coach into an old mr T- "hit em bags sucker fool"

thanks once again for the input, i really appreciate it
Old 21-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #9
Ave
Registered Member

Here is where I am up to, mapped out the basic shape of the body, need to still do a LOT of refining, add some thin muscle definition, that kind of stuff.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sylvester8.jpg (116.1 KB, 66 views)
Old 22-01-2008, 12:17 AM   #10
Mark
Super Moderator

Looking good so far. Definitely recognisable as sly...
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 08:09 PM   #11
s2-speedy
Registered Member

Looking great ave, the head is spot on.
as u say the body still needs work, prob sum muscle deffention but not too much as hes a old codger now lol but i duno how he wud stand up wiv those legs hehe, he'll need a zimmerframe.

I thought bout havin the 2nd guy as his trainer too after i had already posted, he looks like he cud b a trainer. keep it up mate.
Old 22-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #12
Ave
Registered Member

thanks guys, im glad you can see a bit of sly in him, I dont think it would work as well if its just some random character- just hope that isnt lost as i make him older

yeah Im not happy with the body, iv put a lot more work into it last night, and its looking better, but im battling- I havent really done a body before, and its working against me :-\ the shoulders are really hassling me

hahahahahahahaha bro that is such an excellent idea- a zimmerframe!!! Im going to use that one thanks man :beer:

Last edited by Ave; 22-01-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 22-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #13
Ave
Registered Member

update- its starting to get there, but like I said in the last post the body is quite difficult......iv ordered todd grimes body modeling dvd, but thats not going to arrive for a few weeks, so that doesnt help :-(

Im going to have red a white checked briefs sticking out the top of his pants there in the front

his chin looks a bit funny and I havent finished his arms or legs yet, but I was wondering why I bothered modeling feet and hands, since they hidden - had a duh moment there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sylvester9.jpg (69.1 KB, 59 views)
Old 24-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #14
s2-speedy
Registered Member

oh yeh that was sumin i meant 2 say bout the Not modelin parts u wont b able 2 see such as feet n hands lol Looking really good thou at the moe, gloves looks sweet.

I got the whole Todd grimes Collection, its really good and a great help with modeling, riggin and animation.

keep it up bud :beer:
Old 25-01-2008, 10:35 PM   #15
Ave
Registered Member

Yeah iv been drooling over the tutorials for about 6 months now- good to have finaly bought one- my 20+ hour long Larry shultz character animation dvd also just arrived, which looks freekin awesome- then theres the caveman tut, fishy tut......... I think im a tutorial junkie :-\ now its just to find the time to go through all of them haha

man Iv spent about 3 days solid trying to get the hair to look decent, and all of it looks trash..... does anyone have any tips/ideas for me on how to get decent looking hair- iv tried sas as well as modeled hair, but none of it looks good, so iv scraped it all & going to start again- for the 500 time :headbang:

oh yeah I modeled his boots and the inside of the mouth, but there isnt too much to show so ill post images again a bit later on when iv made some progress