Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Categories > Rendering, Lighting, Texturing and Effects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-09-2004, 04:54 PM   #1
Black Fire
Registered Member

Default Object particles?

Hi guys I was wondering can you make an object emmit particles? OK I have some text and i want it to have a ghosty fog/steam coming off the letters. thanks
Black Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 05:53 PM   #2
Noratio
Full Access Member

I'm noob too,but I dear to ansewer cause I've done some tuts. Object properties/ Dynamics/ Add Dynamic/ Emitter

Double click to open. There you go, try some explosion, like 50 first to see the particles. Be carefull with polycount, I had to kill LW while testing with a truck a moment ago.

Using LW8, this should be in7x too.
Noratio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 08:37 PM   #3
Noratio
Full Access Member

Started playing with it and found few points that might benefit you.

I suggested you to try first explosion, well don't. For some reason even if Nozzle is Object surface it emits from the pivot. Bug like thingy.

Instead try etc/ gravity and it emmits from surface if Nozzle is set surface.

In HV panel you must of course activate your object

...got suddenly this itch to burn things...pyromania
Old 11-09-2004, 05:08 AM   #4
Black Fire
Registered Member

Hmmm......well I went to object properties and I heve no Dynamics tab . Anyway I will keep trying other ways to do this. thanks anyway
Old 11-09-2004, 06:44 AM   #5
Mark
Super Moderator

Ah, then you must not be using Lightwave 8? If you're still on 7.5 then you'll need to add the FX_Emitter plugin via the object properties panel.

Take a look in the 7.5 manuals at Chapter 17 -- it should detail all you need to know.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 07:55 AM   #6
Noratio
Full Access Member

Too bad, you ain't using lw8.
Yet an other idea, even Marks suggestion sounds the way to go: Set the emitters behind or under letters with gravity (or wind) and select letter(s) add FX_Collision to them. Set Type= Object, Mode=Stick.

This makes particles come behind the outline but gather to front surface before flying away as other. Maybe not what you asked but best I could think of, and is a bit different effect to object as emmitter. Think of smoke sneaks slowly from behind and as the letters starts to smoke from behind you still can easily read, then smoke gets thicker and looks like the front face was smoking too (even if it isn't).
Old 11-09-2004, 06:57 PM   #7
Black Fire
Registered Member

Ok thanks guys I got it to work now and it looks cool . Anyway you guys make me feel bad that I dont have LW 8 thanks alot lol. Thanks