Administrator

Default Tutorial Requests

What would you like to see next at SLW?

David
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
Abe
Full Access Member

Motorcycle,J C B,any Photo realistic work,Lorry, Tractor, combine Harvester. Fist world war Gun and limber. WW 1 Bus,How to model a complete street in low poly.

I have limited time to practice LW,and with the grey cells declining at a rapid rate ,I need all the help I can get. The older I get the thicker I get. So any mechanical tute for me would be just fine.

Thanks to all.
Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 04:20 AM   #3
leroy3rd
Lifetime Member

Here are a couple of ideas:

-How about texture baking for use with the new Sketchfab plug-in?

-Perhaps a tools workshop? Maybe one for each of several disciplines,examples might be: Hard, Soft, Box, Sub-D, Splines? Each video would show a workflow with tools useful to a certain style of modeling, and how you use the tools to solve specific problems that crop up in a modeling type?

-UV Primer: When to use UVs, when not to, why. Better/other options? Gradients, procedurals.

-Something on IK, maybe animating a wrecking ball or crane?

-Low poly modeling for games. What are the common pitfalls? What's a useful workflow?

-Texturing and lighting for games? Normal maps, texture baking, etc.

-Nodal workshop. How do nodes work, why would we use nodes over the standard materials tools? Examples and a rundown of some (or all)?

-Gradients: Why/how to use them. Examples on their power and ease of use.

-FiberFX - Feathers or thick carpets perhaps? Woven/braided materials?

-Global illumination: How does GI work with AO, radiosity, and various light sources? Radiosity baking.

-Displacements: Perhaps a tutorial on following a deforming mesh like ocean waves or mountains.

-Flocking: Best uses, what to be wary of.

-Instancing: Show us how powerful this is.

-Scale modeling: perhaps you're doing a quick mock-up of a new apartment, and you just want to make sure your furniture fits, or maybe you're working with a team, so scale is important. Why model to scale, what are the most important things we need to know to do it?

-Shaders: Purpose? Effect on rendering times.

-Rendering for 3D printing. What do we need to know to make a successful 3d print? Perhaps some caveats for different types of 3d printing.

These were ideas for things to teach us, here are some ideas for tutorials:

-A 30 second commercial. Maybe for cereal? This could include instancing, dynamics, texturing, and proper lighting.

-Logo creation: We all know the bread and butter of a small studio is logos, show us how to do it right. We don't want our customer to see faceted edges, bad lighting, stretched texturing, or horribly shaky animation, show us how it's done!

-Coin flip: Starts by modeling a detailed coin (complete with nicks and scratches, and a 3d face and back), flip, follow to sky (sky tracer?), then to ground (grass, fiber fx, instancing?).

-Medical: Blood cells, brain, heart, bones? What's most important when doing medical imaging? Perhaps it starts with modeling a syringe and arm, then cuts to blood stream with cells, virus being killed by flu shot?

-Model a high detail rock. Sounds simple, but rocks can have very small details/textures. Maybe help us model a geode (fun!).

Mostly, I think, we'd all benefit from smaller, more focused tutorials. Maybe a set of beginner tutorials (101) with more complex tutorials having prerequisites. This would allow us to learn in bite-sized chunks, and allow future tutorials to be shorter (not having to repeat all of the material from older classes), more concise, and venture into niche areas that may not be useful to everyone (Perhaps a 400 level class on Lip synching or LScript?).

Last edited by leroy3rd; 19-07-2014 at 04:53 AM.
leroy3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 01:21 AM   #4
leroy3rd
Lifetime Member

Possibly, for the super new, maybe even a video on terminology. Explain and show examples of subdivision modeling, global illumination, AO, aliasing/anti-aliasing, points, polygons, edges, pixels, DPI/PPI, SSS, faceting, deformations, etc.

Old 22-07-2014, 06:08 AM   #5
lifo
Lifetime Member

1. Advanced hypervoxels
2. a complex Motion Graphics tutorial (like greyscale gorilla' site)

Generally more advanced training. the basics around here are well covered, despite
being older.
lifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:38 PM   #6
Zeek
Full Access Member

I agree with what's been posted here - more in-depth project oriented tutorials.
Character modeling - showing proper edge loops etc- proper rigging and soft cloth dynamics.
Proper character rigging - Genoma in-depth. The Node editor and controlling animations with Expressions.
Compositing in After Effects and Nuke. gaming character design and modeling.
Hard surface modeling - a F18 Hornet or a full sail ship. Automobile modeling.
Spline control and the list goes on.....
Thanks.
Zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2023, 11:08 AM   #7
elixirsden
Registered Member

I would love to see more in-depth coverage of sustainability initiatives and their impact on various industries at SLW. It's crucial to keep our readers informed about the latest advancements in eco-friendly practices and how they are shaping the safe mba paper writers business landscape. Additionally, exploring case studies of companies successfully integrating sustainability into their operations would be highly insightful.
elixirsden is offline   Reply With Quote