Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Lounges > Site Questions & Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 18-12-2008, 02:25 AM   #1
colin5392
Full Access Member

Default Character/Caricature Modelling Techniques

Simply Maya has recently introduced a Character/Caricature Modelling Techniques tutorial by Jason Edwards, who was one of the character/caricature modelers on the Headcases TV show.

In this tutorial from Jason has designed and drawn a caricature of the infamous foul tempered chef, Gordon Ramsay!

The tutorial begins with a look at reference material followed by basic creation of the character/caricature image planes within Maya. Instead of ploughing straight into the modelling of the characters facial features, it begins with the creation of the more simpler elements of the model that serve their purpose as a 'warm up' exercise using mainly polygons and Maya's standard modelling tools and then gradually building up to the more complicated task of creating a characters head from a polygon cube. Once various parts of the model are complete the UV and texture mapping process is then covered , then into Photoshop to create 'light' and uncomplicated textures in order to keep to the cartoon styling of the character. The tutorial concludes with all parts of the model being finalised then brought together to form the finished character.

My question then is this: When will there be a Character/Caricature Modelling Techniques tutorial to this level for Lightwave Users?
colin5392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 05:41 AM   #2
leroy3rd
Lifetime Member

My guess? Never. It appears that this site is dead.

-LeRoy3rd
leroy3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 02:34 AM   #3
Fallenswordsman

Gotta agree - things aren't looking too rosy for SLW. No new tutorials as of late - we're missed out of from the Christmas discounts that SimplyMaya enjoys and where Dave actually posts to. I get the feeling that its only a matter of time unless something drastic happens to breathe new life into the place. The only thing is as time goes on, then people realise more and more that there is a general lack of support or interest here which is a big shame considering where the site came from in its hey-day. Still no word on the sherman tank tutorial even though it is still apparently available on dvd (or at least you can order it from there) and trying to reach David during his support hours is pretty much impossible (got skype open here right now watching for him to show up and not a sign!). I hate to criticise this because I really don't know what stresses David is under - I don't know the whole story, but at least people deserve questions to be answered.
Fallenswordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:46 AM   #4
jay
Full Access Member

i agree with you about how this site has gone down the drain. its so sad. i was thinking about purchasing the mclaren tutorials by download but am too paranoid about how the site has been. Anybody know whether it is still safe to do so?
i wish dave all the best this 2009!
jay is offline   Reply With Quote