Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Categories > Rendering, Lighting, Texturing and Effects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-10-2003, 01:07 PM   #1
dawn
Registered Member

Default Modeling/Animating clouds

Hi:

Does anyone know how to model clouds (like in the movie Dark City) without a plug-in? They had very cool green and white texture clouds. I mean super puffy, well textured realistic-looking clouds colliding together.

Even if you need a plug-in, please tell me. The plug-ins i've tried don't give me the fullness I'm looking for. I want to do a fly-through scene with the clouds. When I use Skytracer 2 and I'm not using turbulence or smokey clouds, my program crashes. The puffy clouds and coriolis (coriolis I like) textures cause my program to crash. I don't know why. It just started happening and I'm not technical.

Also, skytracer clouds look nice but I don't think it can give me the fly-through scene with the clouds.

Thank you for the help.

dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 05:08 PM   #2
Mark
Super Moderator

Dawn, you might want to try building some hypervoxel clouds to fly though (although these are going to take quite some time to render).

Essentially, set up a particle emitter to spray a bunch of points out acress your scene (or model an object that has the point density you want, kill the polys and convert the remaining points to 1-point polys), then apply a hypervoxels surface to them in layout (there's some puffy cloud presets supplied with Lightwave that you can probably tweak).

Hope this is enough to get you started.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 11:45 AM   #3
wozzyke
Full Access Member

you can make them with hypervoxels and bake them, in that way they will still be volulmtric but wont be able to change the lighting and stuff anymore, so you'll have to make sure it correct before you bake them.
Afterwards use the baked object for rendering, its way faster then the real hypervoxels
wozzyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 01:33 PM   #4
dawn
Registered Member

Thank you.
Old 29-01-2004, 02:28 AM   #5
Erwin
Full Access Member

HV Clouds Tutorial:
http://www.md-arts.com/tutorials.htm
Old 29-01-2004, 03:32 AM   #6
dawn
Registered Member

Thank you, I need all the help I can get. I appreciate it.

d
Old 19-05-2022, 10:42 AM   #7
Dax28
Registered Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with modeling clouds in After Effects. It's just another shape to animate. The only caveat is that it may take longer than you expect because the edges of your cloud layer might be hard to see when you're animating them. Visit https://masterbundles.com/stock-cont...mama-bear-svg/ source to download SVGs Files. I'm not a cloud expert, but it seems like this is a pretty good technique.
Dax28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 06:21 AM   #8
Reyna14
Registered Member

Default education

Thanks for this post <a href="https://www.google.com/">Google</a>
Reyna14 is offline   Reply With Quote