Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Categories > Rendering, Lighting, Texturing and Effects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-03-2004, 05:31 PM   #1
MONFOODOO
Registered Member

Default clouds for mt peaks

i can't seem to be able to produce a drifting cloud at a mt peak .
just for a still shot.i tried HV's but they don't look right.have a suggestion? scott
MONFOODOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 11:22 PM   #2
Mark
Super Moderator

Skytracer II ???
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 02:16 PM   #3
MONFOODOO
Registered Member

actually i,m trying to make a single cloud that hovers about 3/4
up on the mt.surrounding it completly.,on a clear day.
scott
Old 11-03-2004, 09:52 PM   #4
Mark
Super Moderator

Hmm. Have you tried actually modelling the cloud and applying a cloud-like surface to it. You could fake the volumetric effect by placing several layers of geometry inside each other with slightly different surface settings. If its just for a still shot this might fit the bill (and you'd get absolute control over the shape of the mesh)...

Another option if its just for a still shot would be to hand paint the cloud as a layer in Photoshop post render...
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:53 AM   #5
MONFOODOO
Registered Member

OK,
when i use to mess with bryce,you could use a sphere and add volumetrics to it and get some really nice clouds effects. i just can't seem to be able to duplicate this in LW. i'll keep trying.
while i'm here,the version i.m using was given to me by a coworker(unregistered)7.0,i have just ordered the 7.5 with the dfx.the people i work with think i'm nuts for spending that much money on a program.
they just don't understand what it takes to produce any sort of 3d
or even 2d.think of the bucks in high end pc.dual monitors.graphics card,editing software,sound editing.etc.
they see something done,be it a still or anim.,in games,movies,stuff i've done,others have done.there mind says that cool,but have no clue to the hours somebody had to sit there and produce this stuff or the cash envolved.not to mention learning this stuff.
i've always said,"people who don't play music,don't hear the same thing as people who do" scott