Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Competitions > Previous Challenges & Competitions Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-03-2005, 04:00 AM   #16
colto
Registered Member

And yes where is every1?

colto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:22 AM   #17
surfer14
Registered Member

naw that's cool... i pretty much get your concept. But yeah some sketches would help.

NOT really a bad thing but it almost sounds like TRANSFORMERS...........I like the way your imagination works.

OH and another thing...I do not use the lighwave software.
I am a hichhiker that has come from the simply maya site
So i guess we are sort of competing since there will be two winning competents, one from both the newbie and the NORMAL class from all 3 simply sites.
I have two years experience with maya but i am hoping that i can start teaching myself some lightwave also.

Anyway i am also competing as a newbie so i guess it is me you and some more than 3-4 other dudes on the simplymaya site competing as noobs.

SO i wish you the best of luck. OR maybe you don't need luck?
I am making a military robot for this comp so hopefully I have a chance to win.
surfer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:22 AM   #18
colto
Registered Member

Good luck to you too! Yes I know my idea sounds somewhat like transformers but it will not be. It will really just be the back end raising up at an angle(kinda like those trucks that they launch those V2 rockets off of. Except instead of a rocket I have a water cannon and tanks.) and the wheels folding out. Then the rescue pod will just kinda seperate from the front. Mike what all will we be judged on? Just the modelling or lighting, textures, renders etc. also?

Old 05-03-2005, 08:25 AM   #19
colto
Registered Member

Here is what I meant by the back end raising up. It just wont raise up quite that far. Also my vehicle will be much wider with much larger wheels, a turbine, etc. But it is basically the same look if you can image that front cab seperating from the main body and having its own set of arms and legs. Plus the whole thing will be red!:p

http://www.army-technology.com/proje...ages/ws1b7.jpg

Last edited by colto; 05-03-2005 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:58 PM   #20
surfer14
Registered Member

alright alright ...................

three words ..............................

GET!!! TO!!! WORK!!!

LOL.
surfer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:39 PM   #21
colto
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Started modelling this morning. First update in several hours.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:54 PM   #22
colto
Registered Member

Got my robot a name! I am calling it the S.T.R.A.F.E. (Simplylightwave's Tactical Rescue and Fire Extenguishing) Unit. Will have it painted on the side of the bot.

Old 07-03-2005, 12:15 AM   #23
Zeeman
Registered Member

i like the name, kinda gives it a HULK sorta personality somehow!:tup:

ooo, i'm really tempted to join rite now but i think it might end up half incomplete again!

anyhoo, waiting for ur update dude!

Last edited by Zeeman; 07-03-2005 at 12:22 AM.
Zeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:55 AM   #24
colto
Registered Member

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been around lately. Schoolwork got really heavy for a little while and I have been re-designing my bot. After about an hour of modelling I noticed that my "robot" was looking too similar to a truck so I am making some design changes. The bot will no longer have wheels but rather 4 large industrial strength robotic legs that allow it to "run". These legs attach to a larger swivel that will act kinda like hips. The rest of the robot will remain relitively unchanged. I have also however thought of making a small searchbot that is fired out of two small side-mounted cannons on the bot. These are fired into the burning building where they search for victims and relay their positions to the main rescue pod. I will try and do some sketches tonight and finally get some concepts posted!

Old 13-03-2005, 06:33 AM   #25
colto
Registered Member

Hey guys! Long time no see. I got grounded this last week (yes I am still young enought to get grounded ) so I haven't been able to work on my bot. Got ungrounded today so I started modelling today. My scanner broke so I couldn't upload my sketches. They weren't very good anyway, I suck at drawing. Anyway, here is what I have so far. It is the beggining of the leg of my bot. It is basically two strong supported leg sections with a piece of flexible metal(acts as a knee) between them and hydraulic pistons to extend and contract(bend the "knee" ). I still need to model the foot, where the leg connects to the base, and all the wires, details, etc. C&C welcome as always.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (107.6 KB, 154 views)

Old 13-03-2005, 06:34 AM   #26
colto
Registered Member

and the other
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (54.3 KB, 151 views)

Old 13-03-2005, 05:21 PM   #27
Zeeman
Registered Member

WOW!!! okay, I really gotta pick up the slack to compete with this one!!! lol Looks amazing man!:tup:
Zeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2005, 12:59 AM   #28
colto
Registered Member

Default UPDATE

Update time! Ok I have almost finished the legs modelling wise. The rest of it will be added when I have finished the rest of the body. This is one monster 250,000 polygon beast! I already have 20 seperate materials on it lol. Here are some shots of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (151.4 KB, 131 views)

Old 14-03-2005, 01:05 AM   #29
colto
Registered Member

Here is a close-up of the hydraulics that run between the legs of the bot. These expand and contract to move the legs forward and backward.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (133.5 KB, 128 views)

Old 14-03-2005, 01:08 AM   #30
colto
Registered Member

last update for the legs. Time to start a body!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (199.8 KB, 126 views)