Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Competitions > Previous Challenges & Competitions Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 31-08-2007, 07:03 AM   #1
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

Default September/October Challenge

Ruins!

Yeah let's give some kind of environment challenge a try. The object of this challenge is to create some sort of ruin. Whether it be ancient roman, realistic, cartoony, futuristic, medieval, stone age, under water, anything goes!

I'd recommend trying to do some sort of diorama and not an *entire* scene. Here's an example of what I mean:

http://mtmckinley.net/ruin3.jpg

The guidelines:

1) This is a modeling and texturing challenge, but presentation is important. Anything extra you can do for the final presentation will definitely result in a much more appealing final entry!

2) The deadline is November 1st!

3) All work must be done by the artist submitting. You may submit one entry.

4) There's no limit as to what software you can use to create your models and textures.

5) A finals thread will be created toward the end of the challenge. Finals should be posted there, with screens/renders of the final result.

If you have any questions, ask them here. Keep a look out for any addendums or additions to the guidelines as issues are brought up and answered.

For now, signed copies of my books are what I've got for prizes, but if I can think of something cool, I'll definitely offer it up before the end!
mtmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:13 AM   #2
NoStr0m0
Registered Member

Interesting...

Do the ruins have to be original or can we get inspiration from a movie, a sketch or something? Oh, and if we can, to what extent can we be "inspired" ? I mean like recreate or just a rock here, some moss there?
Old 03-09-2007, 07:21 AM   #3
KrisYoung1980
Registered Member

Urmmm.... promised myself I'd enter the next challenge so I'll give it a go. I haven't done much exterior work before so will be doing this more for the experience than anything else... good luck guys!
Old 03-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
Fallenswordsman

Kris - you've done some good interior work - all you need to do is the same thing but turn it inside out. (I think!!!)
Fallenswordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:35 AM   #5
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

I'd of course prefer you not recreate something, but if that's what you'd like to do, you can. Feel free to be inspired all you want to though.
mtmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote