Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Lounges > LightWave Basics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 22-08-2005, 03:31 PM   #1
asha_hardwire
Registered Member

Default Light and other elements

It would seem that alot of our brethren here in simplyLW are graphic modellers (no duh!), but I would like to ask the more veteran members to enlighten us newbs about the use of lightings.

Based from directing experience, lighting is a very important aspect of film. But it seems my knowledge on real film lighting offers little or no help with graphics. the CG reacts differently to light, hence making the model a little less real.

any recomendations on how to set up lights, settings and other light stuff.

also, how to light up an "end of the world" scene, where the skies are dark and purple lightning arc everywhere!

thanks a bunch guys!

-asha_hardwire
asha_hardwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2005, 07:43 PM   #2
stoyan
Registered Member

There are many aspects of cg lightning and many ways to achieve better realism in renders. I think you'll get more help if you will ask more precise questions.

Im not sure what you are trying to show In "End of the world" scene but maybe it can help you:
To exclude objects from lighting by particular light the simplest way is to open the object properties window. There are two important tabs: Render and Lights where you can choose wheter the object casts shadows and reflects the light from particular light source. You can turn off some lightning effects like radiosity for any object in scene too. In the outdoor scene like you want to create, many things depends on how you want to simulate the sky in the background. For example, you can use the HDRI image and load it to "Image World" [Scene tab, then open Effects window] to generate backdrop for objects in scene and light the scene too - then the sky won't be affected by purple lights and will stay dark. You can build a big dome object above the scene and texture it with stars. Then, if you will make it 100% luminosity, 0% diffuse and will turn off the shadows the effect will be similar. If you're planning still image you can even add the sky after the rendering in postprocessing by using an alpha channel of rendered image. There are many ways - I'm sure you'll get more and better help if you'll give us more details abut what u want to make.
stoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 05:26 AM   #3
asha_hardwire
Registered Member

i was thinking of making the landscape really dark. the earth barely showing its features because of some strange shadow casted over it. the sky is dark purple, dark clouds covering it but at certain areas will be really glowy purple. hehehe

the focal point of the setting would be a tower (tower of babel?). the problem is, it kinda looks very toy-like. as if it was made of plastic. how do i fix the lighting on it. like less shiny but still showing reflections.

and how do the spotlights work? they don't seem to affect my model quite?

thanks a bunch!
asha_hardwire
asha_hardwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 07:20 AM   #4
Johnny9ball
Super Moderator

I recommend Digital Lighting & Rendering. One of the most wonderful and informative series of books on CG lighting you can possibly read check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Read some of the user reviews at the bottom.

There is also a second edition coming soon. I already have it on preorder.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

The Digital series of CG books is a wonderful series. Not just explaining the mechanics of using a program to create CG effects but going into depth into the very heart of CG and explaining the essence of digital cg effects. In a non software specific format you will learn the methods and reasoning behind CG effects not just the button to hit to make it happen.

Johnny9ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2005, 08:07 AM   #5
CrazyMerlin
Registered Member

For reference I use Nicholas Boughens Lightwave 3D 8 Lighting.

It is an invaluable source of knowledge explaining the lightwave versions of real-life lighting, and how to achieve the right conditions.

Although a little expensive at around $70 it is worth having a lighting only reference book, and this is my favourite.

As for lightning, there is a good tutorial movie on the newtek site which teaches you how to make a 2-point poly line that resembles electricity, so a few of these with purple color should help.

~~CM!

My web; My work (click)
CrazyMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote