Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Your Work > W.I.P
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 26-10-2003, 01:14 AM   #1
Leovenous
Full Access Member

Default Really, I mean really good bark?

Even though this is about texture, it is a texture WIP, so I think this is the right place.

I am on kind of a texture quest. Right now I am trying to see the difference between slapping an image on the color layer, and the same on the bump layer. I also have it on the diff layer at a low opacity.

What I am working on is neutralizing the bright and dark spots so I have a proper color layer, then making a bump layer right, and a diff layer from the corrected bump layer. I want to make it pretty simple, but I don't know if that's possible.

So, here is the result of the quick and dirty method with a cubic projection. Your wisdom is welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barktest01.jpg (82.1 KB, 79 views)
Leovenous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2003, 01:10 PM   #2
Fallenswordsman

Excellent piece of texturing work there, Leovenous! I love it. Wish I could texture like that but I don't think I can scan a tree on my current scanner. Which raises the question - how on earth did you go about doing this? Surely you haven't hand painted it in photoshop have you? If you have then even more impressive! Sorry I can't help but texturing has always been a very weak point for me. I never usually get a model finished to texture in the first place!
Fallenswordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2003, 02:50 AM   #3
Leovenous
Full Access Member

Well, texturing is my weak point also, which is what is prompting this crusade. I think a lot of lightwavers stand where I do, so I think it may help people to share what I am learning.

This tree was disgustingly simple. I took the picture I am posting below (same res), tweaked it a tiny bit in Photoshop and slapped it on a pipe. Cubic projection. Not perfect, but you can see the result. I copied that color layer and pasted it into the bump layer, then the diffusion layer, setting the dif layer to 20% opacity.

Thats it. Render away.

It can be improved though, and that is what I am trying to do. For instance on particularly the right edge it starts to fade into a black. Really it should be more of a green or a brown, from the refracted light of the leaves. Not sure how to do that but I'll take suggestions and keep all posted.

It does look pretty freaking real, doesnt it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roughbark02.jpg (110.0 KB, 63 views)
Leovenous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2003, 08:01 AM   #4
Fallenswordsman

Looks absolutely ace, Leovenous - I'm going to give that a go once I get home! Can't believe it would be that simple to do! Thanks for sharing. Any chance of posting a bigger image of the original so I can pinpoint any areas that you may improve upon. My eyes aren't quite what they once were!
Fallenswordsman is offline   Reply With Quote