Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Your Work > W.I.P
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-03-2014, 04:23 AM   #16
bullet1968
Full Access Member

Factory man AND retired.....love it!! Im a 30 year vet in civil construction, mostly as a Surveyor. 12 weeks and I quit LOL, I will be broke, time for the missus to get a job. 3D design and printing will be my new career...well Im hoping.

Mate this will look bloody good when you are done....dont forget to dirty the girl up!!!! Models that are spit polished just dont look the part to me....must be all them years I have been playing in the dirt LOL

cheers bullet
Old 12-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #17
rwhunt99
Full Access Member

I worked 0ver 39 years along with a side job as consultant for small business computer networks, still do that some. Wife is 15 years younger and still working, so far so good .

I am having difficulty with the what I call "auxiliary" linkage, can't get it to work right. Plus I am weak in the texturing category, the Loco is "dirtied" and quite obvious in textured shaded wireframe mode, but definitely less so in rendered or VPR mode. I have used simple layered texture using procedural textures, still have a hard time grasping the nodal part.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #18
Abe
Full Access Member

Thanks for the reply,I to am now also retired,well got made redundant by a big chemical factory.Sorry to say this ,but !.We always had a european MD and things were fine ,untill we got a boss from the US?.Not

long after he came to power he closed us down,and moved the work to ,India,China, Mexico and Brasil.Even though we were making £30,000,000 profit and one days strike in 128 yrs.Thanks for the offer of help,I might take you up on that.Posy some more pics up so we can see how you are doing.
Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 01:50 AM   #19
rwhunt99
Full Access Member

Sorry to here that Abe, I hope things work out for you. I haven't had much time to work on it, but I reworked the "aux" linkage but it still doesn't work, I will continue tweaking and will post something when I can work it out right. It seems to be harder than I thought
Old 14-03-2014, 12:53 AM   #20
bullet1968
Full Access Member

LOL Abe, not on your position but that its Americans for you and Irish for us....sigh, worlds gone mad. Australia outsources a lot of work to India and China too, hope things improve for you. I will have to compete with those countries when I get my 3D printing business happening in the next 2 months, high cost of materials here makes it bloody hard.

15 years younger eh? know how you feel, my missus is 11 years younger than me...makes for some robust discussions I can tell you. Im good with textures etc, not so good with procedurals...Maya can be a bitch. What do you mean you cant get the aux to work mate? as in mechanically correct pivot points etc?

cheers bullet
Old 14-03-2014, 01:56 AM   #21
rwhunt99
Full Access Member

Yeah, I've gotten it all buggered up now, I wanted the lower aux linkage to be attached and follow the piston block and that would cause the rest of the linkage to follow and pivot and force the upper linkage to move back and forth to allow the valve (internal) to work the piston back and forth, if you see it you will understand. I disconnected the lower linkage, because the movement was to long and it pulled away from the block. I think I made a mistake by putting the pivot point at the upper end which I attached to the Loco with a stand off brkt, I thought it might work but not so much now. I raised the main linkage to shorten the piston travel but it wasn't enough, so I might just add a short section from piston block to the lower aux linkage to allow it to be able to adjust the length, I had deleted a longer one at the beginning
Attached Images
File Type: png Loco_Linkage.png (469.5 KB, 76 views)
Old 17-03-2014, 10:21 PM   #22
David
Administrator

Looks great I really look forward to seeing this beast animated
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #23
OlaHaldor
Registered Member

Looks great!

Where's the tutorial?
OlaHaldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #24
leroy3rd
Lifetime Member

The train was pulled and replaced with the Prague Tram due to some "technical difficulties".
Old 02-12-2014, 02:05 AM   #25
BenOz
Registered Member

Oh no, my goal in lightwave was to model a Loco, this one looks amazing and I'm sure I could have learned a lot from this tutorial. I hope that this will become available again someday.
BenOz is offline   Reply With Quote