Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Competitions > Previous Challenges & Competitions Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-05-2004, 01:38 PM   #1
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

Default May 2004 Challenge Rules and Guidelines!

irate:

Yar! Ahoy, Matey! I see ye be-a lookin' fer this 'ere Simply Lightwave challenge. Well ye came to the right place! Now listen up, landlubbers 'afore we make ye walk the plank and lose ye to the briny deep!

Me First Mate, David, is-a gettin' the Challenge site a-cobbled t'gether fer yer usage come next time, so in order to accomodate 'em, this 'ere challenge will be a mere single month. Tha's right! This 'ere be the

MAY 2004 PIRATE CHALLENGE!

'Ere be the rules and guidelines. Mess these up and, bless me parrot, the tip of me blade will be the final thing ye see 'afore ye pass into the great 'ereafter! Yar! irate:

1) Create a Pirate! It can be whatever theme you like. Traditional Captain Hook all the way to Post-Apocolyptic Cyber Pirate and beyond!

2) Show concepts! Show Works In Progress! Show Wire Frames!

3) Texturing, rigging, posing, animation, etc is NOT required. However, the more you're able to do, the better! If you'd like, your final could be a completely grey-scale model.

4) Feel free to do low poly game models! No special consideration is given to game art submissions, but I'm always interested in seeing that kind of thing. If you do low poly, let us know your triangle counts and texture resolutions!

5) BONUS! For this challenge's extra bonus (not required) task, create your pirate's sidekick! A parrot, a chimp, a robot, whatever!

6) Label your thread thusly:

May - Norm or Noob - Your name

Choose to classify yourself as a Normal or Noobie class entry. Whichever class you choose is the class your final submitted entry will compete against! A VIP point winner will be chosen from both classes.

It's up to YOU to determine what class you want to compete on. However, if someone's performance is obviously, blatantly, opposite of his chosen class, he may be asked to reverse it. This usually only happens with Noobie class entries that we feel can compete with the Normals.

7) Mods and Admins can enter, but are inelligible to win and do not count toward the Grand Prize consideration of 5 entries mentioned below. If a mod chooses to participate, choose "Mod" class rather than Norm or Noob.

8) Toward the end of the month, Final Entry threads will be made for those who wish for their entries to be considered in competition.

The due date of the challenge is the end of May 31st!

irate:

Yar! Thank ye, Mike!
Be sure to mosey yerself on to http://SimplyMax.com and http://www.SimplyMaya.com to see what yer co-competitors be up to! All three sites are competing t'gether!

An' if'n I be seein' at least FIVE (5) FINAL Normal entries fer this 'ere Challenge [from SM, SL, and SMax combined - Mike] , aye'd be obligated to be a-handin' out a prize to a chosen Grand Prize winnah!

Now off with ye, 'afore I strike ye down!

Yar! irate:
mtmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 01:24 PM   #2
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

PRIZE INFO!

The Grand Prize winner will have a selection of books to choose from, in addition to a free copy of Simply Maya's new DVD!

Obviously, since we're dealing with more than just Maya, if the Grand Prize winner does not want the SM DVD, he can waive it and decide to get a free copy of the FIRST DVD that is released for his chosen application.

As usual, the Grand Prize Winner is chosen from the Normal entries only. We need at least 5 Final Normal entries among the 3 sites to award a Grand Prize winner.

The Normal and Noobie winners will recieve VIP points!

Feel free to change your class if you'd like to compete for the Grand Prize!

Yar! irate:
Old 12-05-2004, 01:07 PM   #3
chrispo
Full Access Member

super cool - I want to kick the maya and max rendering ass's... I hate being sneered upon cause Im not able to afford the £££ packages

- arrrrrrrhhhh, be a hard challenge.

5 point polys, they just need to learn to subpatch and then we can all be freinds.www.thirddayimage.com
chrispo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2004, 01:09 PM   #4
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

Let's get those entries in!