Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Competitions > Previous Challenges & Competitions Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-07-2003, 12:01 AM   #1
M
Registered Member

Default July Challenge 2003!

Hey guys, its time for a new competition. It was thought of through me and kevin, started out as being a cartoon dog challenge, then evolved to this:

Pet Beast

In this challenge you are to model a pet, under your control that is no ordinary living species. This "beast" will be mutated, armoured, bulk, huge versions of pets. For example you may want to model off of the general form of a monkey, dog, cat, bird, rabbit or gerbal! You must also include something that shows that you have control over this beast, either a jem that you have and he has attatched to his body, model a whip that has cool powers to control your beast or something, maybe a whistle, glove? You can go as crazy as you want, but one restriction would be to keep these beasts no larger than an elephant, i would think. A good size may be a small car? Hope you find this challenge as cool as I do, because I will be joining this one myself! One good example is the beast off of "Brotherhood of the Wolf" if you have seen the movie. Or Red XII (kinda) for you FFVII fans.

Ok, now if you join either state that you are joining as a Noobie, or Normal entry and write like the following:

"July Challenge - Name - Noobie"
or
"July Challenge - Name - Normal"

Rules:
1. Texturing is allowed.
2. Wire frame shots must be presented at random times.
3. Various shots of the progress, throughout the whole challenge, at different angles.
4. Concept Drawing or Picture, to be presented (where possible).
5. Submit your stills at 640x480, for loading purposes.
6. Final render can be at any size you wish, and all artowork in the render has to of been made by yourself.
7. Finish by last day of month - Exact time not specified, just make sure its finished by this date.
8. Post your final render at whatever size within the "Final render - Noobie" or "Final render - Normal" threads, depending if you joined in the noob category or Normal category.
8. Everything in your final render has to be modelled by you during the challenge.
9. Have lots of fun and learn lots!

If you have any questions post them here, or PM me if its more private.

msn - matt@gohtel.com
icq - 163517390
email - matt@gohtel.com .
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 12:09 AM   #2
Kevin

great topic M!!! you the man!

hope to get lots of entries on this one
Old 02-07-2003, 02:43 AM   #3
M
Registered Member

Yea well, I will be posting my updates for my model that i am doing over at SM. Just so you can see one of the models progress through Maya compared to Light wave.

Heh, i have already had a few people kevin that just now told me "man, you have some pretty weird ideas".. i dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing.. heheh

msn - matt@gohtel.com
icq - 163517390
Old 02-07-2003, 09:07 AM   #4
Kvaalen
Full Access Member

Great topic!

I just want to make sure, this doesn't have to be cartoonish right?
Old 03-07-2003, 09:11 PM   #5
M
Registered Member

No, it doesnt have to be cartoonish.. most likely it would be better as serious sa you can get it . Cya.

msn - matt@gohtel.com
icq - 163517390
Old 05-07-2003, 07:11 PM   #6
daveythegravy73
Registered Member

Where do I send my Pet Beast when finished.

D I have to sign up for this challenge now, or just when I have Finished.

I'm new & a bit in the dark.

daveythegravy73
daveythegravy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 05:06 PM   #7
M
Registered Member

Hey Dave.. First off you set up your thread now with the following format:

July Challenge - Name - Normal
OR
July Challenge - Name - Noobie

You replace (name) with your name, and you choose either normal or noobie depending on your skill level. You have to show all progress images along the way, with wires every now and then. So sign up now and start posting the renders of your progress .

You then submit your final render into the "Final Render - Noobie" or "Final Render - Normal" Depending on which difficulty you chose.

Hope this helps!

msn - matt@gohtel.com
icq - 163517390
Old 22-07-2003, 04:26 PM   #8
buco
Full Access Member

Aaagh!! Didn't find the time this month.. I forgot to say, in the hobbies thread, that I'm a skipper and during summer is easy that small charter companies call me for some job.. So good wind.. ehm err.. good modeling to everyone! :p