Talking VERY COOL TRICK

check this guys technique for combining subd's with normal polys seamlessly
Why didn't i think of that? DUH...

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthre...&threadid=6148
fusion301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2003, 11:37 PM   #2
Kvaalen
Full Access Member

I'm surprised at how many people find this so extraordinary, I used this trick a long time ago to create the text in my LScript Page (the link is in my signature), its an old one (at least I thought it was).
Old 26-06-2003, 02:57 AM   #3
fusion301
Lifetime Member

yeah I remeber someone explaining it once when the modeled a boat..but the sample model helped explain things a bit better...
I would like to see a weightmap shot of that camera to see whats going on.
fusion301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2003, 04:21 AM   #4
TwistedDragon33
Registered Member

I didnt know it was such a big secret.. its one of the first things i figured out a while ago, although i think philip or someone gave me the info on weights.
TwistedDragon33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2003, 04:58 AM   #5
koots
Full Access Member

i don't understand how this works, can some one please help me with this??? it would be really helpful!!!!!!!!!!! thank you
-jonn
koots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2003, 03:25 PM   #6
buco
Full Access Member

Not sure if I understood the probl.. Anyway: when you turn a polygon patch in a subpatch points act as 'attractors' for vertices (the approx is usually due to the equation's exponent). Pratically one way to control it is to change the weight for every single point of your mesh. By default weight is set to 0 but if you select 'subpatch weight' in the low right corner of modeler and pick the weight tool you can change this value (you can do it in the info window too); when is set to 100 the vertex and controlpoint share the same position in the space so if you change all values of a subpathed mesh to 100 you won't have any difference in shape between the polygonal cage and your mesh (basically you can hit 'tab' without affecting the mesh). This is not so useful but the 'in between' can be used to match polygonal edges with subpathed edges, to change bones influence, to change shader properties and a like. Here is an example where I combined subpatches with polys in a 'easy to draw in 2D shape' but 'painful to model in 3D shape' ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gold.jpg (125.5 KB, 135 views)