Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Categories > Animation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 14-06-2004, 10:15 PM   #1
kennez
Full Access Member

Default Character Rigging Quesstion

I am following the rigging tutorial in Timothy Albee's book Lightwave 7 Character Animation, and I have come up with a couple of questions.

1) When creating weight maps, how do you decide what values to put on each part? For example, on page 126, there is a picture of the characters foot, with 4 values. How did each of those values come to be? Is it guesswork, or is there some way to get these figures?

2) Is there an alternative to weightmaps, and if so, could somebody please explain it to me? I vaguely recall Larry Schulz (Splinegod) mentioning that he rarely uses weightmaps. Is it easier to rig without using them?

If the answer to either of these questions is in the rigging tutorial here, just let me know. I haven't got round to watching it yet.

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar, 21st October 1805
kennez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2004, 02:27 PM   #2
ghDude
Registered Member

I also bought the book a couple weeks ago, went throught it, still a little confused.

1) I think the values he used are from his many years of experience.
ghDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2004, 10:42 AM   #3
sasooo
Registered Member

It is not a one way trip... You can go back to modeler and change something that you don`t like at any time...
sasooo is offline   Reply With Quote