Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Lounges > LightWave Basics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-08-2004, 09:20 AM   #1
-Ravanelli-
Registered Member

Default Grab Objects

Hello ,I was wondering if someone could help me with a little problem i´m having.
I have a character and I want it to (in the same scene)grab an object move to another place and then leave it there.
I try using a null and parent it to the hand null ,try with follower (i dont know if this option is for doing this)but i cant get it done.
I would appreciate some help with this.
PD :Last week I was in school trrying to open a lw 7.5c scene in lightwave [8],and when it has to load the textures it gaves me win error .Any clue?.

Chau y gracias por adelantado.
-Ravanelli- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:06 PM   #2
Mark
Super Moderator

Take a look on flay.com's plugin database. Specifically, search for 'Dynamic Parenting' this should bring up a bunch of plugs that will do what you want.

As for the crashes, I'd be tempted to see if updating the video drivers fixes the problem. I've just resolved an FPrime crash by upgrading to the latest set of nVidia detonators...
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 05:13 AM   #3
-Ravanelli-
Registered Member

Thanks for your answer mark.
But there isn't a way to do this without using external plug-ins?

By the way..ive upgrade the nvidia drivers to the last ones and it keeps hanging.
It hangs with a LOT of things.sometimes with the new dinamics sometimes when you switch (f12) from layout to modeler(also out of memory !) and sometimes when you clear scene....I'm starting to hate it! (and I switch to LW cause I thought max was unstable :S ...),this kind of thing doesnt happen in 7.5...could be my machine?

p4 2.8 ht
asus p4p 800-e deluxe
512 400
fx5700 ultra
xp sp1

Thanks again
Ohh..the only thing that matters is the first question.sorry,but i have to say it.:o
Old 11-08-2004, 12:56 AM   #4
MeanPi2
Registered Member

Turns out LW8 includes dynamic parenting in a plugin called 'Parenter' loaded in the motion panel. Never tryed it though.

Without Dynamic Parenting the theory (my own) is, you can only parent once per scene (without plugs)- so split your scene into 2 seperate scenes. So far no one has said 'you're so wrong you should be killed' when I got really drunk and typed this out, might help: http://forum.simplylightwave.com/sho...&threadid=2927 .
Old 11-08-2004, 03:22 AM   #5
MeanPi2
Registered Member

...anytime you change something and you have problems right after the change, 99% of the time it's due to the change...
Old 11-08-2004, 11:34 AM   #6
-Ravanelli-
Registered Member

Thanks for your answer .
I will try that and see what can i do with the dinamic parenting .