Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Lounges > Members Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-03-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
electro
Registered Member

Default Car modelling skill? Mclaren tut

hey

Im currently working through the Mclaren tutorial, Gotta say, its awesome, Well worth the pennies..

I'v only just finished patching the basic shape of the car, still got loads left to do. only just about scratched a the first 5 movie files. its taken me over a month spending alot of time on the PC a day is that a normal speed for a newbie for a first car?

When i look at other peoples car models, some say its taken them 3-4 days, are they exagerating(sp?) or is it really possible to do it in a few days?

Any newbies (first car model)out here who completed the mclaren tut, could you let me know how it took you to complete,

Was it like this for you pro's out there? modeling skills speed up over time?

sorry for the wierd question lol.

Cheers

Electro

Old 01-03-2006, 07:41 PM   #2
R4s1n
Full Access Member

First of all Welcome to SimplyLightwave.com!!! :beer:

I do own the McLaren Tute (although i haven't had the time to follow it) but once you've used LW or any other app for about 2 years (that's my experience) then modeling comes as second nature. You already know the where all the tools are and what they do so you're brain starts using the tools before you even open LW.
And lots of practice is required to get anywhere with LW.

As for your car question...i started a 350z back when i was starting out with LW and it took me forever to do (I never finished it either but thats cause my PC sucked back then)

All it takes is time and practice.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:33 AM   #3
admiralbcd
Full Access Member

Hi there, I'm also working on the Mclaren at this moment, and it's quite normal it takes so long...did 21 parts in about a month.
When your working on your own model, it will go faster cause you already know what to do, and you already have the skills, but 3 to 4 days ?! Nah, that's for the guys that spilled a bottle of superglue over their keyboard and are stuck behind their pc.

happy modeling on the mcLaren !

ps : as for the completeliness, dunno about that, but I learned almost anything from scratch about spline modeling/patching. Never did that before, and now I'm eager to work on some models I didn't know how to do before, so that counts getting towards completeliness :p .

Last edited by admiralbcd; 02-03-2006 at 08:37 AM.
admiralbcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #4
electro
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies guys I'v been learning modelling for a few months now, Just could never the hang of Car modelling. I was surprised it took me this long, thought there was summit wrong with me lol....
I hope to one day be confident and be able to make my own textured models animated. gotta take one step at a time I guess.

cheers guys
Old 03-03-2006, 05:17 PM   #5
bjørn
Full Access Member

I followed the McLaren tutorial and learned LOTS - it's the most comprehensive tutorial I've ever seen. Even small details Philip pays attention to them, and therefor make the result photorealistic. But my ML model was lost in a HD crash. Since then I use what I learned to go on modelling cars. Now I'm working on a AC Cobra (i the WIP section) . Another good tutorial is Gerald Abraham's Chevy SSR (Kurv Studios).
bjørn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:44 PM   #6
rwhunt99
Full Access Member

Well, don't feel alone:p , Ive been working on the mclaren tute also for what might seem for a long time, however I work about 55 hours a week at my day job plus I'm married (If you are, you know what that's like! Plus I work on computers on the side. So I try hard to squeeze my LW'ing in without upsetting the missus (Quality time you know!) I have done the Strato tute, and the Fishy tute, and I'm on the video 32 of the Mclaren at the moment. I think it's coming along, but with so many interruptions, it takes a while to get back to where you left off. All I have to do is just have a look at the finished model to get me fired up and ready again! Best wishes with it.
:beer: Rich
Old 21-03-2006, 12:30 AM   #7
painterr
Registered Member

Hi guys I hope I am not stepping out of line! I am new on the forum and am quite excited about learning to use lightwave! I was wandering where I can get some tutorials on making cars! I have been using photoshop for several years and can take a pic of a car and redesign it but I have been wanting to get into 3D designing of cars! Any help would be apreciated greatly!!
painterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 04:42 AM   #8
R4s1n
Full Access Member

Yup here's the link to Philip's McLaren Tute on this website http://www.simplylightwave.com/movie...tml?tut_id=504

To learn the basics before getting into intermediate/advanced modeling just click on the Video Training tab to download some free tutorials that will let you familiarize yourself with LW.

Good luck and Cheers :beer:
Old 21-03-2006, 05:49 AM   #9
painterr
Registered Member

Originally posted by R4s1n
Yup here's the link to Philip's McLaren Tute on this website http://www.simplylightwave.com/movie...tml?tut_id=504

To learn the basics before getting into intermediate/advanced modeling just click on the Video Training tab to download some free tutorials that will let you familiarize yourself with LW.

Good luck and Cheers :beer:

Thanks !!
painterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 11:55 PM   #10
Johnny9ball
Super Moderator

painterr You will love the Mclaren tut Phillip models it in Photo realistic detail.

Johnny9ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2006, 12:47 PM   #11
odeone
Full Access Member

My advice is why rush it. Take your time and let the knowledge sink in. Looking at my thread for the McLaren it took me 10 months to complete, but like others when your working fulltime its hard to dedicate time to lightwave. I completed the Stratocaster tutorial as well and learnt more from those two tutes than I could from a dozen books. Though some might like to dispute that it worked for me. Phils tutes come highly recommended, and from what I've seen Master Mitchells tutes are pretty damn good too. Must get one for Christmas!

Hope this helps.

Cheers...

Ps...Rome wasn't built in a day.
odeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2006, 02:37 AM   #12
haiddasalami
Registered Member

Default Points?

Is there a free version of this cause i do not have money and dont work so there is no way i can afford this. I been working and reading a lot of free tutorials and the video tutorials here are great. If someone could help me I would be SOO GLAD!!
haiddasalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2006, 03:10 AM   #13
Johnny9ball
Super Moderator

Sorry there is no free version.

A great way to get some points is to participate in the monthly contests. Birthdays. Sell stuff on E-bay. Save allowance. Get a job.

The price per tutorials is very reasonable you can certainly find a little money or do a little work for your parents to earn some cash to buy points or better yet save up and buy the whole tutorial you will save a lot of cash that way.

Johnny9ball is offline   Reply With Quote