Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Categories > Modeling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 13-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #1
slugfest
Registered Member

Default Total Noob ready to learn, please help!!

ok guys.. very new to the game here and I just wanted to introduce myself.. My name is Cody, I am 22 yrs. old and I have been infatuated with 3-D creation for quite some time, but I have never decided to dive in until now..

well, I am very very green when it comes to this stuff and I know I might come off like a complete moron, please bare with me.

a few questions.. I am in the process of following the elephant modeling tutorial in the downloads section...
questions:
1. After taking forever trying to figure out how to go from poly to sub-patch , I now need to know how to hide the blue dotted lines that represent where the poly is. How do I do this?

2. As for working the band saw tool that the guy in the tutorial talks about, I am totally clueless. Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.

3. Any info that you wish someone would have told you when you first started would be great!!!

thanks guys, I am looking forward to progressing and posting up my horrible creations
slugfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
aakashem
Registered Member

Hey, hey. I'm kinda new too so I'll follow this thread.

1. I know the answer to your first question.
So...:
To remove the blue dotted lines, you need to open up the 'display option' by pressing "d"-button. If you look down in the new box you'll see "Show Cages". Uncheck that and just press OK.
That's it and good luck.
aakashem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 11:39 PM   #3
KrisYoung1980
Registered Member

Hi and welcome to the forums.

I see you're 1st point has been answered so I'll just try to shed some light on Bandsaw.

Bandsaw (found in the multiply tab) is a tool which divides loops of polygons into multiple segments, it follows the contours of your model so the cuts will go from edge to opposite edge (which may not always turn out the way you think/hope it might).
You really need to use the numeric panel to get the most out of this tool and within it, make sure that enable divide is selected. The white panel with the lines on it is your divisions area, you can add and move lines to control how your polys are cut. Commit the action by hitting enter and you're done.
To make sure you're getting the bandsaw in the direction you want, you're best to select a few polygons from the loop you want to cut before you activate it.

Hope this helps.
KrisYoung1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
Perfecto
Registered Member

Just wanted to say, "Welcome aboard!"
Old 14-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
slugfest
Registered Member

thank u guys so much.. I am sure to have a flurry of questions in the future.
slugfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 01:49 AM   #6
aakashem
Registered Member

Default "No visible layers were found."

When I 'Send Object to Layout' I get this:

"No visible layers were found."

I've no idéa what's wrong. I was thinking that i got that messege because my object was made with two layers, so fixed those together but still I get "No visible layers were found."

I wrote this here because this might be a very nobish question. :p
Old 15-07-2007, 03:39 AM   #7
Fallenswordsman

Are you getting a "read only" message from the hub?
Fallenswordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 03:42 AM   #8
aakashem
Registered Member

From the hub? What hub? You have to talk noobish language with me :blush:
Old 21-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #9
s2-speedy
Registered Member

i had that visable layers problem when loadin a scene but cuz i wasnt that bothered bout it i didnt find out y it happened. never happened 2 me b4 thou, i been doin lightwave bout 3 years now i think.

a good tip is if doin a complex model - is 2 hide the geomotry that ur not workin on by selceting the poygons and hittin the - key and its hiden, 2 bing it back press \ key.

Dont give up modelling - its hard at 1st but do tutorials and ull love it later on when ur more expericned and mayb do a challenge which are on this site

hope i helped.
s2-speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 05:55 AM   #10
KrisYoung1980
Registered Member

The hub is basically the program that allows modeller and layout to talk to each other (it does more, but we'll take it a bit at a time ). If the hub isn't running (you don't have a little green lightwave logo in your taskbar) then it can cause problem with updating any changes made in either program.
The message is probably most common when you have a scene file that is expecting x number of layers in a object file, but there are actually less as you've deleted a layer in modeller. Generally it's nothing to worry about, but it does replace the layer with a null object so you should delete that as it can get confusing having random nulls floating about.

:beer:
Old 09-09-2007, 03:32 PM   #11
butchjrobles
Registered Member

Default noob too!

Hi guys!

please help me where can i find good free online tutorials for Lightwave. I really wanted to learn.

Thanks!
butchjrobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:09 PM   #12
KrisYoung1980
Registered Member

Here of course! :attn:
Other than that, the ones on newteks site are good for picking up the basics. There is a site that catalogues tutorials too, I can't remember the URL, but id you just google lightwave tutorials it will be the first link to come up...

:beer:
Old 09-09-2007, 04:16 PM   #13
aakashem
Registered Member

Is there any FREE and FULL tutorials on like making a good looking head or body? All the tuts I find on the net are a bit confusing...

I just know how the basics works, and how to use some simple tools. I'm kinda stuck at that level is there any tips on how to go on further?

When I follow a tut it feels like 'this is just waste of time, I'm just doing what it's written'

Any comments/tips on what to do; appreciate it...
Old 09-09-2007, 04:24 PM   #14
KrisYoung1980
Registered Member

My best tip if you're serious about wanting to learn is: spend some money! There is alot of decent free stuff out there but if you want any level of detail then you're going to have to pay for it.
Admittedly books and tutorials are quite pricy but if you can get a couple of friends to chip in it's worth it...
Old 09-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #15
aakashem
Registered Member

Hmm... Ok, Ok!
Is there any special books/DVD's you're suggesting?
I'd really like to be more serious...

My level is like beveling a human body.... I want to learn the techniques of modeling from a picture(/blueprint?).