Go Back   Lightwave Community at SimplyLightwave > Categories > Animation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 13-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
Lord Killmore
Registered Member

Question "Attaching"Bones to a Dynamic object >_>

Ok this is a rather stupid question IMO but well i´ll ask anyway
i don´t have much experience when it comes to animating in LW n all so yeah maybe i´m just stupid xD

anyway here´s the problem

I´m animating a model for the HL1 engine . usually i use other programs for animating but i wanted to use physics for an object thats falling to the ground..
so anyway i got myself the smd/bone importer/exporter for LW

importet the mesh and the bones n all and well the mesh moves fine with the bones in layout but as i said i wanted to make a Dynamic object out of it.

so i have the object and 1 bone. as soon as i turn the object into a dynamic one the bone is somehow not anymore attached to the object.

so i wanted to ask if its possible that even if the model is a dynamic object that the bone will still move with it and i can set the keyframes on that motion so if i export the animation from the bones that i´ll get the same movement on that bone as with the dynamic obj.

well i guess its hard to understand n all but yeah dunno ohw else i could say it xD Hooray for my crappy english skills

anyway hope im not asking to much and this cann be solved somehow. would help me a lot since i might use that for other animatiosn too ( a falling character n all)

greetz and thx in advance ~LK~
Lord Killmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
rwhunt99
Full Access Member

curious as to an HL1 engine; is that a game engine (Half-Life)? Also, why do you want to make the obect a dynamic object?

If you want to use the object as a dynamic object, you might want to use a stand-in object as a replacement, ie; use a dynamic sphere ,or create a low poly object the same size to represent the object, this allows Light Wave to calculate much more quickly, then save the motion to an mdd file you can load and play using the real object.

I'm not sure how to import something like that into your game engine though.

Last edited by rwhunt99; 17-05-2008 at 12:59 PM.
rwhunt99 is offline   Reply With Quote